Talk

Advanced search

Fungus/mould from bad ventilation

(9 Posts)
BertieBotts Tue 13-Jan-15 15:08:28

What's the best way to get rid of this? Obv increasing ventilation, have done this, but what's the best way to get rid of the mould itself. I've been wiping it with diluted bleach which helps but there's a gross mushroomy bit right in the corner of the wall (we didn't notice it until now and it must have been there all winter sad). Any ideas?

donkir Tue 13-Jan-15 15:13:32

Cleaning and then painting with a damp proof paint/solution from most diy stores.
Try do dry clothes out doors as drying indoors can create mould. Also if your cooking or having a shower/bath having a window open is much better than having an extractor fan on.

shovetheholly Wed 14-Jan-15 15:19:26

You can buy mould removal products from supermarkets - Blitz That Mould, or HG Mould Remover work well and are not expensive. Just spray (being careful not to catch curtains and protecting carpets from runoff) and leave to dry. You might want to ventilate the room as they do niff a bit.

Donkir's advice about understanding the source of the dampness is important!!

BertieBotts Wed 14-Jan-15 15:44:27

Yep, I've been having this dampness conversation on facebook. I can't really understand it TBH, we live in a flat right up under the roof but there doesn't seem to be a leak or anything, the room isn't particularly damp. That wall is colder but it's an outside wall so presumably normal?

OliviaBenson Wed 14-Jan-15 15:49:40

It could be condensation which is attracted to the coldest spot in the house. Do you dry washing indoors? Do you have extractors fans in the kitchen and bathroom?

BertieBotts Wed 14-Jan-15 16:05:35

It could have been washing. The airer was in there over Christmas because the tree took its usual place. But I've moved the washing back to the living room/kitchen now. Seriously tiny tiny house. Smaller than a postage stamp! We don't have extractor fans. There isn't anywhere for them to go. All the rooms have large windows though.

PigletJohn Wed 14-Jan-15 16:37:41

and are these windows open, or closed?

OliviaBenson Wed 14-Jan-15 17:41:53

I think it could be water vapour then if you dry washing inside and don't have any extractors. Do you open windows daily?

BertieBotts Wed 14-Jan-15 20:46:26

Both PigletJohn. Olivia I don't know if they've been opened every day but most days they get opened at least for a bit. DH likes a breeze!

The kitchen and bathroom are fine, just the bedroom. I've moved the washing out now and it will stay out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: