Advanced search

A plastic lidded storage box/tub that holds a loaf of bread?

(18 Posts)
WellTidy Tue 13-Jan-15 13:36:59

I spent a small fortune on lock & lock plastic storage tubs for the pantry between christmas and new year. So now all my sugars, flours, dried fruit etc have their own labelled stage tub, and I don't have masses of half used bags smile.

I have clearly got the storage bug. What I'm after now is a lock & lock/sistema type tub that I can put a loaf of sliced bread in, to keep that as fresh as possible. I can't see anything big enough at the moment. I buy either Hovis or Warbutons large sliced loaves in the supermarket, and I think they're a standard size.

Any recomemndations please?

olbas Tue 13-Jan-15 13:42:41

any good ?

WellTidy Tue 13-Jan-15 13:51:20

Thanks for looking olbas but I've seen that one and discounted it. The reviews on Lakeland's site say that it is 6 or 8 inches too short for a standard long loaf. I think it would be good for home made bread, but I never make my own bread, and DH makes some only rarely.

twainiac Tue 13-Jan-15 16:32:26

I bought one from TK Maxx a couple of months ago, not at home to check right now, but I think the brand is 'curver'?

WellTidy Wed 14-Jan-15 11:12:05

ooooh, twainiac I will google it.

Sunnymeg Sat 17-Jan-15 11:53:36

This isn't a lock and lock type, but could perhaps do the job?

TwoDogsNoHorse Sat 17-Jan-15 14:05:49

I've got a lock and lock that will hold bread - not long enough for a full loaf though but you could get two?

It is the 3.9L rectangular one (HPL829]

The full range is here - maybe one of the larger ones?

MrsHathaway Sat 17-Jan-15 14:17:12

If you store bread like that it will go mouldy quickly. What's the particular attraction of plastic, rather than wood or metal?

doradoo Sat 17-Jan-15 14:26:27

there seem to be a lot of lock & lock bread boxes - you can google the images - here are they not the right size?

doradoo Sat 17-Jan-15 14:28:56

Seems it should be on amazon but out of stock amazon

Gozogozo Sat 17-Jan-15 18:39:24

Did you get a good deal on lock n lock / system a? As I plan to the same for all my dry foods.

starfishmummy Sat 17-Jan-15 22:12:35

I have a lock and lock that holds a large loaf. It has a little plastic rack in the bottom that crumbs drop through. Got it from Lakeland years ago but somewhere might still do it.

MrsHathaway I don't have a problem with bread going mouldy in mine. Perhaps we eat it quickly enough grin.
I used to have a wooden bread bin but find this is easier to clean - no little nooks and crannies to harbour crumbs which then go mouldy

hooker29 Sun 18-Jan-15 18:57:43

I got a lock and store one from Wilko-fits a whole loaf in.Never had a loaf go mouldy cos it's in a plastic box.

hooker29 Sun 18-Jan-15 18:59:13

it's the same as the one starfishmummy has! It has a little plastic rack in which I presume helps with air circulation???

Marmite27 Sun 18-Jan-15 19:01:20

I have a lock and lock one too, we use Kingsmill 50/50thick, and once the first two slices are out of the bag the rest of the loaf fits in.

Marmite27 Sun 18-Jan-15 19:04:23

Looking at that link mine is the 3.9ltr one. I also have the bacon boxes with the racks in, Wish I could get one of the bread ones. Ihave a tonne of lock and lock, DH jokes he will be put in one one day!

WellTidy Tue 20-Jan-15 09:00:38

Thanks all for your guidance. I will get the 3.9 litre one then. As you say, you would only be putting the bread in once its opened, and the first few slices have been eaten. So it should fit.

I don't fancy a bread bin. I don't want it to sit on the work surface, as I am trying to de-clutter, and I think that a bread bin wouldn't work so well in a low cupboard. I know that DH would just lift it out and leave it on the worksurface after he has finished with it.

Gogo I bought all the lock n lock tubs on amazon. I had prime then (I cancelled it when I saw how close to expiry it was and that it woudl be an automatic �79 to renew!) and they came the next day. I found the prices to be competitive. I bought loads. The lock n locks say underneath them what their storage capacity is, so you can buy what you think you will need and then repeat buy what you use the most of. I would do that, rather than buy it all up front. They also stack well. I am deligted with mine.

If you have a Dunelm near you, they also sell a wide selection at good prices. I didn't find that the selection in my local Lakeland was very good.

Gozogozo Tue 20-Jan-15 20:25:19

Thanks Welltidy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now