Talk

Advanced search

New washing machine - Miele or LG?

(27 Posts)
Superworm Mon 12-Jan-15 15:19:57

The washing machine packed up today so I'm looking for a replacement.

Never bought one before and having looked at John Lewis I'm between the LG 12 kg or a Miele which has 7kg. Our current old machine is 5kg so either will be an increase.

There only three of us, hoping to have another DC at some point but wondered if 12kg too big?

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 12-Jan-15 15:26:14

I think the general consensus is that if you can afford a miele then buy a miele. They are built to last.

rabbit123 Mon 12-Jan-15 16:22:11

Miele!
Whilst the big drum on the LG is great, Miele are built so much better and last a lot longer.

Fingeronthebutton Mon 12-Jan-15 16:40:58

As I've said before: you only buy 1 Miele, they last forever.

ouryve Mon 12-Jan-15 16:44:42

Miele. Particularly if it has a long warranty.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 12-Jan-15 16:50:33

I have a Miele - best w/machine I've EVER had, and I've had a few, ranging from Hotpoint, Siemens, LG, Bosch, Zanussi, (and various others).

Miele definitely the best so far. If you can afford the initial outlay, you won't be disappointed, as they last forever!

I have the Honeycomb W3923 model, large drum (don't ask me what the weight capacity is) but I can stuff in a single duvet, three pillows or a king-sized quilt overlay to wash.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 12-Jan-15 17:00:30

I've got an 8kg Bosch, which I'm generally happy with, but it's not quite big enough for a double duvet & they do need washing regularly. The front-loaders at the launderette don't seem to be any bigger either.

Mieles are very good & do go on for years but technology outpaces them grin

I'd go for the 12kg LG, even if you'll rarely fill it. It will wash a smaller load extremely well, & they can usually sense how much water to use, so not wasteful. The F1495BDSA is a Which magazine Best Buy

rabbit123 Mon 12-Jan-15 17:59:23

Re: technology, the Miele can be given a PC update, so an old machine can have the same programming as a new model.

Tbh, apart from having bigger drums and using less water, I haven't had a washer that did anything differently to my Mum's 30-odd year old washer that she had until recently. The reason I love the Miele is that it's quiet, solid and does a good job everytime without me having to do anything. Just set it going and it senses how much water to use and how many rinses to do.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 12-Jan-15 18:35:12

Ah! Yes, forgot to mention how quiet it is (I've got used to that now). When we first got it, had to keep checking that it was actually churning! grin

Also have a Miele dishwasher - also very quiet and most excellent.

Beautifullymixed Mon 12-Jan-15 18:45:06

Absolutely love my LG washing machine. But if I could afford a Miele, I would go for it.
Unfortunately, I can't.
But a LG machine,especially a 12kg, is certainly no booby prize at all.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 12-Jan-15 20:06:19

My current Bosch has a bigger drum with different, better paddle things, & is much quieter, & washes way better, than my previous (only 6 years old) Bosch

The access to the pump drain pipe is better designed & easier to open,
& the door opening is much bigger.

It's also more efficient with both water & power.

Stuff like that grin

Superworm Mon 12-Jan-15 20:06:41

Thanks everyone, it seems to be a unanimous vote for Miele.

£700 is my absolute limit. I could get what looks like the entry level Miele for that. Is it still worth it over the more singing and dancing LG?

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 12-Jan-15 20:14:54

Have a look at ao.com then smile

ao.com/product/WDA100-Miele-Washing-Machine-White-29725.aspx

rabbit123 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:17:46

£589 is an absolute bargain!! 1400rpm, 7kg - it's actually 1kg more and 200rpm more than mine AND it's cheaper! Absolutely go for it!

Varya Mon 12-Jan-15 20:22:18

Miele, every time!

rabbit123 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:24:21

If you've got £700 to spend, you could even go for the next model up which comes with free 5 years parts & labour
ao.com/product/WDA110-Miele-Washing-Machine-White-29726-1.aspx?disableredirect=1&

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:25:53

You'd get £75 cashback from miele on those models too.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 12-Jan-15 20:29:53

Actually if you google the individual models the retailers are all price matching

So whichever one you decide to go for, check all the websites for delivery dates, time slots & prices

rabbit123 Mon 12-Jan-15 20:32:42

ao tend to be really good with delivery. Free next day delivery or for £9.99 you can specify a time slot. We got our dryer and Fridge Freezer from them. Excellent service.

Milmingebag Mon 12-Jan-15 20:32:54

We have bought various goods through ao.com and they are really reliable. Sometimes it gets delivered the next day. This proved Esp helpful when John Lewis cancelled our fridge the day before it was due to be delivered as it was suddenly out of stock. Not helpful when you are having a kitchen fitted...

I have a Miele and it is excellent- quiet and washes things well.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 12-Jan-15 20:33:05

(ao.com are very good though - I'd always rather use them than eg Currys. But John Lewis have the WDA110 for £649 too if you'd prefer them - they don't have the WDA100 at all)

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Mon 12-Jan-15 20:33:50

Cross posts grin

We all love ao!

SignoraStronza Mon 12-Jan-15 20:35:55

Miele. Mine is second hand and has moved house four times in the six years I've had it. Still going strong!

Superworm Mon 12-Jan-15 22:11:10

Just ordered a Miele through ao.com. Same price as JL but much better delivery - thanks all smile

rabbit123 Mon 12-Jan-15 22:34:34

which model did you go for, Superworm?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: