Talk

Advanced search

Cordless Vacuum?

(8 Posts)
peachcake Sat 10-Jan-15 22:13:22

I'm considering buying one of these but not sure how effective they are?

I have some mobility problems and imagine using a lightweight cordless vacuum would help but I am concerned they will be a poor in terms of power, section and battery life, does anyone have experience of using one of these if so any that you would recommend?

Many, many thanks!

forago Sat 10-Jan-15 22:16:45

the Dyson ones are excellent - I got one for my mother who has arthritis in her hands so she could hiober her stairs - she could no longer used a corded vacuum. I have 2 myself. Only issue is after a year or so the batteries tend to start cutting out but they have. a 2y guarantee and Dyson happily send you a new battery.

they are expensive but worth it IMO, I never use my corded.vacuum now.

Every other brand one I have had or used has been terrible.

trice Sat 10-Jan-15 22:17:48

I have the air ram thing. I bought it as I have mobility issues. It is very light and easy to use, but you do have to empty the dust box after every room. The battery lasts about a week in my house.

I don't know about longevity - I had a roomba and the batteries on that stopped working a week after the warruntee ran out.

rabbit123 Sat 10-Jan-15 23:56:31

The problem with cordless vacs is that they don't generate the same amount of suction power as a mains powered vacuum. They can't. There is a reason that your vacuum is as big as it is. So whilst they are very light and convenient to use, they are only really good for picking up surface litter and not very good at getting deep into the carpet pile and picking up embedded dust, dirt, grit and things like dust mites or fleas if you have pets.

If you have all bare floors, they're great, because you don't need much suction on a bare floor. But for carpets, you will still need to periodically vacuum with a big mains powered vacuum to really get into the pile and deep clean.

Remember, vacuuming isn't just about making it LOOK clean, it's also about hygiene and prolonging the life of your carpets.

McFox Sun 11-Jan-15 00:00:26

I can second the dyson, I use mine every day and only need to charge it weekly. I disagree that it doesn't pick up as much dirt, I'm constantly surprised by how much it accumulates when hoovering daily, I don't think our old upright did as well.

rabbit123 Sun 11-Jan-15 00:55:42

It is, unfortunately, a fact that they don't pick up as much. Airflow in a vacuum cleaner is generated by the fan. The more fins and larger diameter of the fan is what determines the suction power generated (not the motor wattage).

The fan in these cordless vacs is tiny and doesn't generate much suction. You should honestly try going over your carpet with an empty, full sized upright or cylinder and you'll see the deep down dirt it's leaving behind

ChippingInLatteLover Sun 11-Jan-15 02:21:28

Rabbit is right. Spot on.

I have a Henry, which I adore, but he's a bit if a faff for a quick flick around. I wanted a cordless upright to 'fill the void'. But hadn't looked into it. Very very very unlike me who can research an item to death and always does, except this time. Someone posted a link to the vax sale and they had a great deal on theirs, so somewhat impulsively I bought it. It was £180.

If you'd only ever had that, you'd think it was great. Canister gets full of dust etc. however, it doesn't pick up my (long) hair, no anything too heavy/big/slippery...all things Henry would without thinking. You can still feel bits on the carpets as you walk on the just hoovered bit and if I go around with Henry after I get loads & loads more (I did it to prove to myself I wasn't imagining it).

I love having it as it's quick to do a daily flick around with, but I still use Henry to Hoover properly at least once a week. If it died, I'd replace it, but with something much, much cheaper. I'm glad I didn't pay the £300 rrp. Mind you, if I had, it would be going straight back!

It's good on the hard floors though and it is very light and very manoeuvrable.

JsOtherHalf Sun 11-Jan-15 11:56:07

Our gtech airram is very good. I even make our 8 year old son vac his room :D.

Lakeland have the money back guarantee on them:

www.lakeland.co.uk/23847/Gtech-AirRAM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now