Talk

Advanced search

Become a Konvert in 2015 - Kondo thread 5. All welcome!

(1000 Posts)
PeoniesforMissAnnersley Fri 09-Jan-15 12:51:41

Thought I better set this up when I realised I had inadvertently posted the 999th post on thread 4! shock

Join us in purging our lives of things which do not bring joy and discover the wonder and magic of folding your knickers! grin

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Fri 09-Jan-15 13:13:09

Wow! Can't believe how fast the last thread filled up!!

I have a stationery (ary?!) question. The most logical place to keep all paper/envelopes/pens/packaging etc is upstairs by the pc (which about to be kondoed for a laptop!!). However, I do a lot of ebaying and I do all packing of parcels and labelling at the kitchen table so have a stash of cello tape and address labels in the corner of the kitchen. My dilemma is whether to put a little wooden box of drawers in the kitchen to store it all or to just move my packing area upstairs by the computer...think I might have just answered my question blush

misscph1973 Fri 09-Jan-15 13:18:30

Oh, thank God, I was on the previous thread, and was trying to work out how to read the 40 pages! A new thread is very Kondo, I think.

I took a break from the Kondo threads since just before Christmas, but now I am back! I have given 4 bags to charity, stuff I was going to ebay, but I decided that they wouldn't fetch much, so probably better to give it away. I feel much lighter!

I have also finally watched the How to fold a carrier bag video, and I love folding my carrier bags now ;)

Now someone mentioned a sock folding video - I would love to see that as I am not sure my ways is the most efficient (I found the instruction in the book hard to follow).

I have signed up for the Alejandro videos, bit basic, but I am sure they will get more useful.

My big task is my desk, I tend to have a big "to do" paper pile, and I need to do now, as it's getting overwhelming!

In the holidays I sorted DDs room, it was too overwhelming for her. I told I didn't throw away anything, I was obviously lying, but she hasn't noticed anything missing, so all good. I also sorted the garage, not perfectly, but quite good.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Fri 09-Jan-15 13:20:19

Also, receipts. I have post office receipts for posted ebay items. Paypal have now extended the period in which a buyer can claim from the seller so do I now have to store these for 6 months? I've just found a huge pile of them but not sure if they would ever make it up to the computer area.

I have a lot of childminding receipts, too. How do other cms deal with these?

SparklyReindeerShit Fri 09-Jan-15 13:21:26

Joined the last thread, posted once then Christmas happened! confused

Feeling like I'm drowning with toys, clutter and general house stuff.

On a positive, have decorated bedroom for dc and moved them into it creating lots of space for their toys etc.

Need to organise spare room and kitchen. Having garage redone so can move all crafting stuff out there asap.

Generally feeling like I'm drowning though. Have SO much to do and with a 2.8 yo and .3mo it's so hard! One step forward two steps back.

homeaway Fri 09-Jan-15 13:25:02

Should we put the folding pictures on the first post and the order in which things are done as well .? No idea how to do it though. blush.

homeaway Fri 09-Jan-15 13:30:38

Folding pics as posted by rummi

www.duitang.com/people/mblog/24230934/detail/

Pointlessfan Fri 09-Jan-15 13:33:53

Thanks for the new thread!
I have had a really bad week on the Kondo front but reading everyone else's progress is encouraging me to keep going. Out all day tomorrow but hoping to start again on Sunday.

mipmop Fri 09-Jan-15 13:58:59

Here's a summary of the process:
https://psychologies.co.uk/self/10-tips-to-make-you-more-tidy-and-organised-now.html

Electricblue9 Fri 09-Jan-15 14:01:16

Lovely fresh new thread! Just about to go back and read the other posts but wanted to mark my place first.

Today I've sorted my recipe books and a huge pile of loose recipes sheets. I've also sorted the last of the paperwork into keeps and two inboxes. One for me and one for the kids.

iknowimcoming Fri 09-Jan-15 14:41:00

Thanks for the new thread! Good day today, kondoed fridge before shopping delivery, sorted the vast backlog of washing and have started putting it away, kondoed ds's wardrobe and about to go and do the rest of his clothes as I put the clean stuff away. Also kondoed some of my birthday presents from the inlaws so with the stuff from Christmas now have nice box to go to charity (I find getting rid of presents very easy as my ils taste is bizarre to say the least) wink

BriarRainbowshimmer Fri 09-Jan-15 14:47:25

<bows like I'm entering a Shinto shrine>

pinkhollie Fri 09-Jan-15 14:49:28

Sparkly I am also struggling to really get going with a 2.11y old and a 6week old but I'm doing short bursts and trying to remember Rome wasn't built kondoed in a day

APlaceOnTheCouch Fri 09-Jan-15 14:57:37

Thanks Peonies for the new thread thanks

I haven't done much today at all (well except for work which is necessary but not as relaxing as folding socks!).

I have been avoiding paperwork because I have a complicated filing system and the thought of reducing it to two folders - filing and to-do - both terrifies and amazes me. I think I may introduce it in two steps ie try having only two folders going forward for this year whilst keeping my multi-folder system in the cupboard as a fallback.

CheerfulYank Fri 09-Jan-15 15:00:54

What a lovely uncluttered new thread smile

I am selling a pair of sandals today, which feels liberating. I wanted so badly to wear them but they just never worked, so out they go!

I'm almost done with clothes!

JKSLtd Fri 09-Jan-15 15:03:28

New thread yey.

I did get up don't worry but felt better for switching off a bit. The cats are happy now too after being neglected a bit. Mil is allergic to them so they don't get much love if I'm out.

Also sorted some birthday shopping for ds2 and a possibly excellent storage for small lego bits that was reduced and ds1 was all upset because someone stood on one his lego men and broke a hand. He said he would like to keep all the people and small bits separate. So I'll give it a go but get him to help me I think.

I've managed to get thank you cards from dc for Christmas in the post and more cat food.

About to post-christmas tidy the fridge - long overdue.

Innocuoususername Fri 09-Jan-15 15:20:21

I'm really struggling to get any proper Kondoing done. I'm finding that short bursts means I don't find everything in that category, and I end up redoing it when other things resurface. DH has been working crazy hours so I'm also trying to stay on top of the day to day house stuff and get ready for guests coming at the weekend.

At the moment I'm prioritising getting the discarded stuff out of the house, to give me room to do more sorting next week. And as a bonus, one of those charity collection bags came through the door today. I usually give direct to charity shops as they don't get much of a cut from the bags, but I'm giving away so much I just want it out of the house as quickly as possible!

leeloo1 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:21:41

Hiccup "I have a lot of childminding receipts, too. How do other cms deal with these?"

I'm actually almost organised with this!

I initially stuff these in an open box, so they're all in 1 place, then every year few months I go through and type them into a spreadsheet (date, item, cost, receipt (receipt =yes/no/online) ) that adds up how much I've spent. I then put all the receipts I've added into a zippy A4 bag for that tax year (eg Apr 12- Mar 13) with any letters from HMRC about that tax year and any letters from bank re interest that you have to declare. The zippy bags go into a box file.

I used to put them in date order etc, but it was way too time consuming and I figure if HMRC every want to audit me (fingers x'd it'll never happen!) then I/they could order them then.

Spork If the under play area (I'm finding it hard to imagine - can you link?) is a clutter/mess/dirt magnet & hard to clean then do you need to change/get rid of it? Easier said than done I know. smile

Isabeller Fri 09-Jan-15 15:23:04

How lovely to see the new thread. Yesterday I finished going through the first of my 3 book categories, it was hard at first but became a real joy. It's interesting how two things can appear really similar but only one sparks joy ie black t-shirts, murder mysteries.

The idea of thanking something and sending it on to it's new life really helps me let go of things and realising that something has already fulfilled it's purpose in my life is a revelation.

I've been battling a virus too - get well soon fellow sneezers - and have a short break from the baby now so must let myself drop off for a few minutes.

Happy tidying!

nutsinwinter Fri 09-Jan-15 15:28:37

Am still on the couch feeling less than 100%, but dying to get back into Kondomania!

Our local charity shop does pickups, so when we get another big bag or two together I'll give them a call. We don't have a car and have far too much stuff to take there ourselves now. But I want to collect as much stuff as possible to make it worth their while IYSWIM. Three enormous bags so far, sitting here taking up space.

TimeGoesBy Fri 09-Jan-15 15:32:22

Lovely shines new thread! Back at work and did a massive Kondo of a store cupboard... Literally filled a wheelie bin with recycling. Will have to wait until bin is emptied before I can tackle my office but itching to have a big clear out. Amazed by the amount of useless crap I surround myself with without questioning... Does anyone else feel like they have had a total mind shift since starting this? I have become so much more decisive... Not just in relation to getting rid of stuff but in general.

didireallysaythat Fri 09-Jan-15 15:36:21

Kondofantastic - a nice new uncluttered thread !

ALittleFaith Fri 09-Jan-15 15:36:37

Hello all! I fell off the last thread - I guess it was busier while people were off over the Christmas holidays but I was working and couldn't keep up!

I've slowed down recently but have got all DD's baby clothes organised. Done a bit more in her room too. I went shopping today. Amazed how much easier it is because everything is tidy, I know what I really need rather than buying excess of some things!

pinkhollie doing anything besides the essentials with a 6 week old is impressive!

Pointlessfan Fri 09-Jan-15 16:11:46

I agree, I wouldn't have managed this at all when DD was 6 weeks.
I have loads of washing to put away this evening. Actually looking forward to that!
Fellow teachers - what have you done with all your school stuff? I'm going back to work soon and am dreading all the school related clutter in the house.

Tommetipsy Fri 09-Jan-15 16:14:51

Hello! Can I join in please? I've been decluttering on and off for a year now but after reading the book I am really inspired to get things done.

I work from home and I have a lot of stock and can hardly move in my work room. My plan is to use some Ivar storage that my sister doesn't need and I'll store some stock in the spare room. My mum and dad stay with us quiet a bit but if I rearrange the room a bit it shouldn't be too obtrusive I hope.

My next target area is the kid's toys. There's a lot of them...

I've read through the last thread and have got so many ideas from it.

This thread is not accepting new messages.