Talk

Advanced search

Disappointed with my Henry vacuum cleaner!

(16 Posts)
DxbtoLHR Tue 06-Jan-15 11:53:37

So got a Henry, didn't have time to research a lot as my old was broken but always assumed Henry was a decent one, had one in the past and its what cleaners use as well. But its really difficult to move back and forth on the carpet, not smooth or light at all. My arms feel like iv worked out at the gym!

Is it something to do with this model? Its a HVR200 I'm considering returning it...

EmGee Tue 06-Jan-15 13:48:49

I didn't like mine either despite the glowing reviews on Amazon. I don't have carpets (it's not supposed to be very good on them I'm afraid) but I do feel that it simply pushes the dirt/dust around unless I actually put the attachment on top of the dirt! To be fair I had a Siemens before and that was the same.

The plus points are:
long cord
big bag (empty it once a year)
it's indestructible - which is unfortunate if you are waiting for it to break down to justify buying a new one.

If you don't like it on the carpets, I would return it.

rabbit123 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:18:51

If you have carpets, take it back and swap it for the (slightly more expensive) Henry Xtra. It has the same solid build and strong suction but comes with an air driven turbobrush for carpets which glides along with ease.

These can be bought separately online if you prefer. They do make a big difference.

rabbit123 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:23:16

Here you go. Available online for £24.

www.henryvacs.co.uk/acatalog/Airo_Brush_Black.html?gclid=CPSLjI_I_8ICFUvJtAodQg0AeQ

rabbit123 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:08:11

Another thing that might help - on the handle/tube is a black suction release valve. Open that and the floorhead won't stick as much

DxbtoLHR Tue 06-Jan-15 19:36:42

Hmm thank you for the advice, I will try opening the suction release valve. If it doesn't make a difference, I may well have to return it. confused

Will8 Tue 26-May-15 06:19:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

imip Tue 26-May-15 07:06:11

I like my Henry for hardboard floors, but the dyson handheld with the long extension works better on carpet. I'm not sure what Model I have, but there is a green switch that goes from lo to hi. Lo is low suction power (good for dcs playmat, which would otherwise be hoovered up with the Henry!) and Hi, which has a lot more sucking power.

My Henry is still going strong 7.5 years later. It's used daily...

imip Tue 26-May-15 07:07:09

Oh bugger didn't realise it was a zombie thread and possibly spammed!

vienaa Sun 31-May-15 16:55:58

I don't like my either, I find it heavy and my back hurts after using it as I really have to work at it when i use it on carpets,I have the turbo brush but that is useless as I have a white cat so picking her hair up on rugs is a nightmare, I really don't get why people think they are great.

e1y1 Mon 01-Jun-15 20:36:17

Mine is being returned this week for this very reason. I think it's down to the plié size as on the rugs it's ok, on the carpet too hard to push.

mishatiameliko Fri 05-Jun-15 00:24:07

It cleans the carpets lovely but I agree far to heavy

tootsey Fri 05-Jun-15 22:14:42

I think Henry is great. But should use fine nozzle attachment for carpet. The suction is fantastic. Would never use the flat head for carpet on any hoover.

Stitchintime1 Fri 05-Jun-15 22:16:11

I abandoned mine. I had a thread running on it recently. After much consideration, I got a Miele. Sleek little thing. Bye bye, Henry.

mistymeanour Thu 11-Jun-15 12:56:09

I hated mine and he would fall over when pulled along. It overheated, smoke came out and it "popped" 2 days after its guarantee ran out. I bought a Miele and am so much happier (and have a much cleaner home)

rabbit123 Thu 11-Jun-15 22:01:27

I have both a Miele & a Henry. The Henry is brilliant for cleaning the car and for cleaning up DIY mess, but it's not so great for general house cleaning. Henry's were designed for heavier use like that and for cleaning glued down office carpets.

The Miele doesn't handle brick dust and debris very well and the handle is too bulky for doing the car with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now