Talk

Advanced search

I hate my Hoover with a passion. Help me!

(54 Posts)
SeattleGraceMercyDeath Mon 05-Jan-15 17:49:57

I absolutely hate my Hoover Mistral 2000w (just in case some other poor sap is tempted to buy one) as the suction is a load of shite and the filters need changing after every use plus the stupid thing overheats and cuts out and well you get the idea. It's shit. So I'm going by myself a new vacuum cleaner and I need recommendations to avoid ending up with another toothless damp squib. I've got around £150 quid to spend, could possibly go higher if you were all telling me it was the MacDaddy of suction devices. Hit me.

JenniferJen Mon 05-Jan-15 20:16:15

get a roomba. its amazing. we paid about £120 on ebay for ours, second hand. we love it. my Dyson hasn't been touched since. and we now have a scooba too grin

SeattleGraceMercyDeath Mon 05-Jan-15 20:26:40

Is that the doobrey that just hovers all by itself?

LuckyLopez Mon 05-Jan-15 20:29:33

Henry!

kylesmybaby Mon 05-Jan-15 20:31:58

Miele everytime. Don't get a Henry they are too heavy and awful to use.

unicornsfartrainbows Mon 05-Jan-15 20:35:17

get the best Miele cylinder you can afford.

plummyjam Mon 05-Jan-15 20:55:26

Just bought a miele cat and dog and it's the absolute tits. Lifts the carpet off the floor. The highest suction setting is so powerful you can't move it! Currently £209 at currys.

PigletJohn Mon 05-Jan-15 20:55:37

www.johnlewis.com/miele-complete-c3-silence-ecoline-plus-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner-white/p1694857 good buy at £160

rabbit123 Mon 05-Jan-15 21:32:39

Miele Cat & Dog for £179.99 - comes with the turbo brush for picking up hair and threads from carpets
www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Miele-Complete-C2-Cat-Dog-Powerline-Cylinder-Vacuum-Cleaner-in-Mango-Red/id-MIE-CVC-COMPLETEC2POWERLINE-MR?ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=CPupwdDm_cICFUvJtAodQg0AeQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

foolonthehill Mon 05-Jan-15 21:34:29

Miele cat and dog every time.......

maleenteringfemalefacilities Mon 05-Jan-15 21:42:05

Henry. Bag is huuuuge, I only changed it once in 10 months and it was like a cushion, it was so full - no loss of suction at all. A bit heavy but has an extra long hose so you can leave at the bottom of the stairs while cleaning them.

No stupid spring to rewind the flex (so it doesn't lose its rewind power - I know a lot of people think that the manual rewind is worse but I prefer it). Plus it's seriously tough - people use them for builders rubble, and they seem to be the vacuum of choice for cleaning companies, schools, offices etc.

Mine is actually a pink Hetty as she was a tenner cheaper!

rabbit123 Mon 05-Jan-15 21:52:42

Henry/Hetty would also be a good choice, but in my experience if you have carpet, you should really get one with a full sized turbo brush. Miele Cat & Dog & Henry Xtra both come with turbo brushes for carpet and straight suction floortools for bare floors.

LondonRocks Wed 07-Jan-15 09:06:49

Miele cat and dog here, too. Amazing.

iwantgin Wed 07-Jan-15 09:11:10

There was apost about vacuum cleaners recently.

I bought a Sebo about 18 months ago. Love it. It's more than your budget - but I haven't been disappointed with mine.

this one

It's big, and quite heavy, but works. Looks pretty too.

caroldecker Wed 07-Jan-15 09:43:33

Dyson DC59 - a revelation.

Blanketontheground Wed 07-Jan-15 11:17:26

Do you all have cats and dogs (those of you who recommend the Miele)?. I only have children. We have a Henry but I've never liked it.

rabbit123 Wed 07-Jan-15 11:23:41

3 long haired Persian cats here! Hence the need for a model with a turbo brush in our house.

Don't bother with those cordless Dyson's. The charge doesn't last long enough to clean a full house, the suction is only really suitable for dusting or bare floors and the bristles are too soft to really get into the carpet pile and get the deep down dirt. They're fine for quick pickups but crap for a thorough clean.

Chavaloy Wed 07-Jan-15 11:26:17

I love my SEBO!

PigletJohn Wed 07-Jan-15 12:33:41

the cat and dog Miele has the turbo brush, which is supposed to be good for getting hairs up. Most of the other cylinders have a simple hard/carpet floor head; it is a new more efficient design on the Ecological models which have lower energy motors. Miele cylinders are currently available with 1600W, 1200W, 800W and 700W motors.

according to Miele's ratings, the turbo head is no better for getting dust out of carpets, though. You can get a motorised head (I used to have one, but it broke) which is like the head on an upright hoover, it has a "beats as it sweeps" roller. It is fairly heavy, noisy and expensive.

rabbit123 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:04:54

Further to PigletJohns advice, just a heads up that Miele no longer make the rechargeable motorised powerhead. There is only 1 cleaner in the range that comes with a powerhead now and it's £700. Miele do sell the replacement powerhead for this but no other ckeaner in the range has the power sockets for it to work.

Sebo offer a cylinder with a powernozzle - the D4 Premium - but it's a very heavy machine with a £400 price tag.

In my experience, the air powered turbo brushes make a big difference when it comes to picking up pet hair and threads from carpets AND they make the cleaner easier to push

LondonRocks Wed 07-Jan-15 18:46:04

Nope, no pets, but fluff seems to get everywhere on our pale floors. And long hair!

Nanasueathome Wed 07-Jan-15 18:49:44

I have tried them all, Miele , dyson, Henry etc
However, the very best cleaner I have ever used, and the one I have now, is an Oreck
Bought it from qvc ( on their easy pay scheme) and there is absolutely no comparison with any of the other makes
Very lightweight as well
Thoroughly recommend

Follyfoot Wed 07-Jan-15 18:56:15

I've just got a Sebo x4. Oh my god, its a revelation, our house has never been so hoovered! Its a whole new world after the Dyson we had previously. Our local - independent - electrical shop said dont buy anything else. Tis a thing of wonder....

rabbit123 Wed 07-Jan-15 22:45:07

Oreck went bust earlier this year and got bought out by the same Chinese company that owns Vax. They're no longer of the same quality and have started making cheap, bagless vacuums

BoffinMum Thu 08-Jan-15 13:18:15

I reviewed a Miele for MN a few months back and I have been delighted.

Miele Silence Plus s8390

He has now been joined by 'Hoovie', the new family pet aka robot vacuum who does top-up cleans for us.

Robot Vacuum Cleaner

This was recommended to me by other people on MN and is a cracking bit of kit as long as you remember to empty the little dust compartment regularly (takes all of, oo, 10 seconds).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: