Talk

Advanced search

Unblock waste disposal

(14 Posts)
slithytove Sun 04-Jan-15 23:22:30

I have an insinkerator which I put too many potato peelings down earlier. Husband is being an I told you so dick and suggesting calling in plumber tm!

I've drained the pipes to no avail, and chucked bleach down each plughole with the aim of plunging tm.

I've just read online about vinegar and baking soda, can I do this as well as bleach? Can I plunge without a plunger?

PigletJohn Mon 05-Jan-15 00:30:28

have you still got the instructions?

slithytove Mon 05-Jan-15 00:37:03

Yes I do. I've tried their baking soda method to no avail. Their next suggestion is to call the service centre.

I've also unscrewed the p trap and drained it. Not sure what else to do.

There was water all up to the point of the pipe in the wall, so I don't think the waste disposal is the issue. DH insists otherwise cos he wants to blame me

The whole system is 5 weeks old.

slithytove Mon 05-Jan-15 00:40:11

I do. It's the 45.
https://insinkerator.co.uk/sites/insinkerator.co.uk/files/downloads/products/77348_REVA_2013_07_12_0.pdf

I have drained and rinsed all the bleach and tried with baking soda. Scared to try and fill it up to see if it's still blocked.

I just drained the p trap and didn't find a clog, in fact if anything there was water up to the pipe in the external wall. So clog must be further away?

Whole system is only 5 weeks old.

slithytove Mon 05-Jan-15 00:40:29

Whoops

PigletJohn Mon 05-Jan-15 01:21:05

Start with a sink plunger or pump. You have to press a damp sponge tightly to the overflow.

if that doesn't work and the pipe is clogged, you probably need to put a bucket under it and poke with a plumbers snake, or perhaps a coathanger would do.

does it connect to a soilpipe in the corner of the kitchen, or go out to an outside gulley?

PigletJohn Mon 05-Jan-15 01:24:37

p.s.

resist mixing drain clearing chemicals. Some plumbers have been saying that the person who was recently killed after a drain explosion might have been victim of a mixture of bleach and caustic cleaner.

slithytove Mon 05-Jan-15 01:28:44

I won't put anything else down the drain.

I don't think there is a soil pipe, it seems to go straight outside

slithytove Mon 05-Jan-15 01:30:53

Pic
I drained all the grey pipes up to the White pipe

PigletJohn Mon 05-Jan-15 01:37:07

straight outside and into a yard gulley?

Or straight outside and pipe disappears underground?

Is there an inspection cover?

btw your dishwasher waste hose looks fitted wrong. It should loop upwards to the height of the worktop. From what I can see, dirty sink water and sludge from the mincer will run in to it.

slithytove Mon 05-Jan-15 01:41:14

HVe just gone and run the taps, and the sink seems to be staying clear, but there is water seeping out from under the kitchen cabinet sad
Under the kick board as it were

I've not fiddled with the pipes at the back so quite worried now.

DH is going to be very pissed at me.

PigletJohn Mon 05-Jan-15 01:43:12

twist kitchen roll into rope, and tie a ring of it round every joint. It may be one of the screwed connections, loose or cross threaded. The rope will get wet at the leak.

slithytove Mon 05-Jan-15 01:48:23

I really don't know what I'm doing and the guy who installed the kitchen is a complete douche so can't ask him to come and look at it.

How do I fix the dishwasher pipe?

The outside pipe is about a foot vertically attached to the wall going into a drain inthe ground

slithytove Mon 05-Jan-15 01:50:05

Just went outside and there is a mass of potato peelings next to the drain, so looked like I forced the clog out!

Just need to hope I cN clear this leak now.

The pipe going into the wall was loose outside so I've tightened it, hopefully that's all sorted now. Otherwise I might be back tomrrow!

Thanks so much for being up at this hour and helping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now