Talk

Advanced search

Smelly muslins

(9 Posts)
cookielove Sun 04-Jan-15 19:46:06

Hello all not sure where best to put this so thought i'd put it here.

We have a 4 month old (adorable) ds who can be quite messy with milk and we found that muslins are the best for keeping hin clean (ish) and also for the ridiculous amount of drool that is pouring out of him these days!

Anywho they are beginning to smell and non bio isn't getting the smell out, I have tried bio too but it doesn't make a big difference. Should I cut my losses and buy some new ones or is there some trick to getting them to smell nicer?

TIA

ShootTheMoon Sun 04-Jan-15 19:48:54

I would do a 90 degree wash in bio with towels etc - in fact DC is 3 and we still use muslins for random things, so they get this treatment frequently. They are whiter now than when DC was a baby grin.

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 04-Jan-15 19:51:52

Hot wash, they'll be fine.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 04-Jan-15 19:52:36

Have you tried a really hot wash? DD was a really sicky baby and I always washed her muslins on 90.

2LittleFishes Sun 04-Jan-15 19:54:01

I'l usually give them a soak in napysan every so often, then bung them on a 90degree wash!! grin

cookielove Sun 04-Jan-15 20:00:12

I haven't done them on a hot wash as they get thrown in with everything else. I shall try that tomorrow! Thank you smile

westcountrywoman Sun 04-Jan-15 20:02:45

Definitely try a 90C / boil wash, then make sure they're drying fairly quickly so aren't getting all musty. A normal 30 wash won't be killing the bacteria in the milk. The choice of detergent isn't so important. They should dry quickly as long as they're spread out properly on an airer or outside line, or tumble dry of course.

BlackbirdOnTheWire Sun 04-Jan-15 20:16:28

Yep, napisan every so often and a 90 wash.

We had severe reflux babies, we'd have a whole machine load of approx 70-100 muslins on every single day. We just had a nappy bucket full of napisan, dumped the dirty muslins in it till the end of the day and washed them then. None of them smelled afterwards.

I don't miss those days grin. Even my mother gave up airing and ironing muslins following washing/tumble drying after one day here, much as it pained her to do so!

cookielove Mon 05-Jan-15 12:34:45

I washed them at 90 then tumble dried them. They smell fresh but not if my yummy non bio smell! Hopefully that will come in the next couple of washes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now