Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning under the bed.

(24 Posts)
MrsMyrtleMarple Sun 04-Jan-15 14:42:32

I have just cleaned under my bed for the first time in fifteen years. That's right, fifteen years.
I am such a slob.
How often do other people do it? How do you do it? I have about two feet of shuffle room either side of my bed, so moving the bed out of the way is not an option. My vacuum cleaner ( a Henry) won't go under in any meaningful way. In the end I got a little stair vacuum cleaner and got my husband to do itgringringrin

clary Sun 04-Jan-15 14:44:59

I crawl underneath it and dust the skirting board, the drag the hose of the dyson under with me to clean the carpet.

Kids' beds, hmmmm, don't think I can get uner them so I just move them now and then.

It's not weekly job (ahem) - more like yearly!

HermioneGrangerHair Sun 04-Jan-15 14:53:18

Watching with interest, because I have no answer to this either. Our bed weighs a tonne, has only a 4" gap from frame to floor and, like you, there's only about 2' around it (on two sides). As it stands, I expect to clean under it about the same time we clear the room for new carpets.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 04-Jan-15 14:54:19

My bed is a divan and the gap between bed and floor is way too narrow for any poking of vacuum hoses. Can't move the bed as it is fixed to the headboard which is fixed to the wall (it is one of those big, hotel style upholstered ones)

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Sun 04-Jan-15 14:54:55

There's probably all manner of stuff under thrre

WhispersOfWickedness Sun 04-Jan-15 14:59:39

I do mine once a year. Like others, it is a divan, so can't fit Hoover nossle underneath and there's not much space around it. I end up just shunting it round the room and cleaning up to where it has been moved to, there is probably a foot square piece of carpet underneath that has never been cleaned grin
Definitely worth doing though, I found a fiver under there the year before last grin

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 04-Jan-15 15:08:30

I slide the Hoover under there weekly. I pull out the bed and clean properly monthly.
15 years - Crikey, was it very grim under there?

TheHappinessTrap Sun 04-Jan-15 15:12:04

Once a year. And the trick is to remember that you can't do it on your own, it takes two. Move the bed out of the way, vacuum and put the bed back. Do it on the day you change the sheets. Takes 5 minutes or less, but you need your partner!

LIttleMissTickles Sun 04-Jan-15 15:14:01

Roomba once a week!

MrsMyrtleMarple Sun 04-Jan-15 15:16:06

I can't move the bed out of the way, there's not enough room.
I can't get underneath as it's not deep enough.
It was pretty grim under there. Thick with dust and fluff.
Is there a vac that goes flat enough to go all the way underneath?

PigletJohn Sun 04-Jan-15 15:17:29

A bed can be tipped on its side.

Easier with two people, especially when lowering it again.

Beds are not especially heavy. You can take the mattress off first to hoover both sides, and the bed base, and turn the mattress before replacing.

Mrsgrumble Sun 04-Jan-15 15:17:30

I am a bit mad but I use a pack of baby wipes and pile everything on top of the bed - I don't hoover and its quick

I clean a lot of my floors with them ... Feel it's a calorie burner too
About once a month

We have the argos canvas\wooden storage on wheels so its not too bad

Getting rid of a lof shit excess household goods helps

crazykat Sun 04-Jan-15 15:18:04

I never hoover under the bed. We have a huge storage bed with about 1" gap between the bottom of the bed and floor. It weighs a ton and there's only space to move it a foot either way so no point.

BerylStreep Sun 04-Jan-15 15:22:15

We roomba under most beds about once a week.

Our bed frame is too close to the floor for the roomba to fit under it, so we lift the mattress and hoover through the slats about once every 2 months, when we also hoover the mattress.

I have asthma, so it really helps.

HidingBehindANewNickname Sun 04-Jan-15 15:29:46

DH has a severe dust mite allergy so is hoovered once a week. Before we found the cause of his allegy though it had been probably a good few years.

In mattress and underbed dust (skin cells) are a huge attraction for dust mites. Whilst hoovering under your bed do not forget to hoover your mattress too.

pumpkinsweetie Sun 04-Jan-15 15:31:22

Once a year at bestgrin
Life is too short to be lifting, pulling heavy divans that nobody can see underneath.
If you can't see it, leave it, is my motto.

yomellamoHelly Sun 04-Jan-15 15:48:40

Roomba does it. Gives me an excuse to remove dh's floordrobe which gradually gets pushed more and more under the bed if left.

Woodenheart Sun 04-Jan-15 16:02:46

Im lucky to be able to do mine weekly, Ive decluttered the whole house, & as its a double wooden frame, its easy to move across, there is nothing under it.

MrsMyrtleMarple Sun 04-Jan-15 16:59:55

Beryl I like the idea of hoovering between the slats. I can do that.
This morning I cleared out my bedroom and have fifteen black bags of stuff. Ten for the charity shop and five of rubbish. Hopefully that should make it easier to clean. Hopefully.

Gozogozo Sun 04-Jan-15 20:49:36

My superking bed also weighs a ton, with very little space to move it anyway.
It came from m&s as did our sofas and the sofa legs are called slides or glides, I forget which. As the bed will have to be moved for new flooring, does anyone know where to get glides or similar to put under bed legs and chest of drawer legs etc?

Moresproutsplease Sun 04-Jan-15 21:00:39

DH has a severe dust mite allergy so is hoovered once a week.

Sorry but that made me grin

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 04-Jan-15 21:42:36

Hoover under the bed once a year when changing the sheets? That's done dedication to not changing the sheets.
We've moved house every two-three years. Under the bed gets Hoovered when bed taken out...

HidingBehindANewNickname Sun 04-Jan-15 22:35:15

more Opps..I could hoover him too I suppose grin

Woodenheart Mon 05-Jan-15 13:24:14

Since decluttering,y bedroom exists of;

Fitted wardrobes.
1 double bed.
1 cot.
1 t.v on a stand.

Not one other thing in here. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now