Advanced search

Really boring laundry question!

(11 Posts)
kansasmum Sun 04-Jan-15 08:16:42

Sorry for boring topic but am wondering if I could machine wash a coat?
It's 66% wool and rest is mix of polyester and viscose.
Says dry clean only. My nearest dry cleaners is 10 miles away and I've used them in the past and they've been ok but not always great.

Shall I risk a wool wash in the machine??!

figgypuddings Sun 04-Jan-15 08:25:43

I would wash it on the wool wash then line dry it if you can.

FoxyMcFox Sun 04-Jan-15 08:26:07

I washed a duffle coat with wool in it and it was fine. But if it had ruined it I wouldn't have been too bothered so I was happy to risk it!

MrsHathaway Sun 04-Jan-15 08:28:33

This week I deliberately washed a dry-clean only 100% wool skirt on a 40 degree cotton cycle and 1600 spin and it's absolutely fine.

Go for it.

kansasmum Sun 04-Jan-15 08:37:08

Ok thanks!! Will give it a go! It's not an expensive coat so not the end of the world if it goes wrong and it really needs a wash!
Fingers crossed!

CoffeeBucks Sun 04-Jan-15 08:50:15

I wash loads of things that say dry clean only because I am lazy & they are always fine. I don't want to dry clean a £20 top every time I wear it! Expensive or very delicate things yes, anything else should be fine on a gentle cycle & with a slow spin.

mausmaus Sun 04-Jan-15 08:58:52

yes I would try it wool cycle and wool detergent (or shampoo if you don't have special detergent).
very low spin and the lie flat to dry, gently pulling it into shape.
imo clothes that don't go in the washer are not worth keeping anyway.

MrsHathaway Sun 04-Jan-15 09:11:21

yy to not keeping it if you can't wash it. I generally don't buy dry-clean only because you end up not wearing them. Suit jackets a notable exception.

There were some "Do not wash or dry clean" Christmas jumpers on sale this year (because of the twinkly LEDs). Sweaty polyester you can't wash... <vom>

Letsgoforawalk Mon 05-Jan-15 22:18:33

Agree with above. But I washed a cheap chenille throw from dunelm that said dry clean only, and totally ruined it! It was just shedding tiny bits of fluff from the moment I took it out of the machine, the fabric just disintegrated (Everything in with it was covered too! ) I had to chuck it out sad

mausmaus Mon 05-Jan-15 22:33:10

letsgo have you used bio detergent? wool/delicate detergent or shampoo for wool/silk/leather/fur

Letsgoforawalk Sun 18-Jan-15 13:10:43

It was a standard non bio tabs. Sorry just seen this question! It is the only thing I've ever ruined this way so usually quite careful, however I will think v carefully before lobbing into the machine a 'dry clean only' thing in the future... confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now