Talk

Advanced search

can I disguise a nasty candle?

(8 Posts)
workatemylife Sat 03-Jan-15 10:17:13

I was given a candle at Christmas which smells lovely but looks awful! DD made a rather scatological comparison! Wrapping in paper or film is clearly a fire hazard but it seems a shame to waste it - it is about five inches tall and a chunky pillar candle so would last for ages, and came from MIL who might notice if it is never in use. Maybe I need a tinted hurricane lamp or vase. I can 't think of many easier options...don't suppose you have seen anything nice and not too £££ that would work?

MinnieM1 Sat 03-Jan-15 10:22:24

What does it look like? I've never seen a particularly ugly candle and I'm struggling to see how it can look that bad??

coffeetofunction Sat 03-Jan-15 10:27:06

Melt it down in an old pan (to be thrown away) keep the wick, then make new candle in a jar/cup/bowl/teapot ect with the warm wax & wick

workatemylife Sat 03-Jan-15 10:28:57

it is a mustard yellow with an orange tint and textured like chunky bark. The top is milk chocolate brown colour and has been made to look as if it has melted and started to run or drip down the sides. Maybe not the best descriptions but you get the idea maybe?

justaweeone Sat 03-Jan-15 10:30:43

Put in a coloured vase

Tzibeleh Sat 03-Jan-15 10:34:05

Put it in an old (but scrubbed clean) terracotta plant pot. It would hide most of the candle, catch the drips, and look appropriate to the bark texture.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 03-Jan-15 10:35:11

I was in sainsburys the other day and they had huge hurricane glass holders in a non see through red, ok so they had been christmas ones but they didn't look Christmassy, they were £3, something like that might work

workatemylife Sun 04-Jan-15 09:35:12

Thanks everyone. I love the melting down idea for old candles but might just go with the vase / lantern idea for this one to keep it 'whole '. If I can't find one that fits then the plant pot idea sounds good too.. Really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now