Talk

Advanced search

Let's unfuck our habitat in January....anyone else out there?

(223 Posts)
Newstartnewyear Fri 02-Jan-15 14:40:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Newstartnewyear Fri 02-Jan-15 14:43:44

catsofa Fri 02-Jan-15 15:18:14

Thanks for the thread Newstart!

Link to Unfuck Your Habitat

OK so I am 5 months pregnant, hopefully moving house in the next couple of months but if the house move doesn't work out then my DP will be moving into this one bed flat with me and we'll have baby here.

I've lived here for 12 years and am a hoarder. Also my mum died three years ago and I still have loads and loads and loads of her stuff stored here which is emotionally difficult to sort through and throw things away from. My flat is totally and completely full of stuff and I need to make room for another adult with too much stuff and a baby with cot, pram, etc.

So in the next two months I really need a massive, massive clearout!

At the moment I'm using my own version of the timed cleaning tasks. I downloaded this stopwatch for PC and am just setting it off and keeping going until I need a break. Then I pause it for a break and can see how much I've done. I did four hours yesterday and I know that was four hours of solid work, even though a lot of it was putting away random things which didn't result in one clear space exactly. I did sort out the entire bathroom cupboard though, so I do have one area I can physically look at and enjoy.

Tunna Fri 02-Jan-15 15:18:20

I'm in. Seems a lot more basic and realistic than other ones I've tried, although they all work to the same principles.

Started by volcano draining my sink. Next job will be to put a wash on and Hoover bedrooms.

catsofa Fri 02-Jan-15 15:22:41

One of the things I did yesterday was to price up loads of CDs to sell on Music Magpie. I've never used it before, has anyone else here? Freed up half a shelf in my bookcase, and I've copied all the disks to my hard drive so I still have the music without the physical clutter. Will have to do a load of my mum's CDs too, lots of which are in storage.

AuntieStella Fri 02-Jan-15 15:24:33

Well, I've got as far as looking at the website.

<sighs>

Newstartnewyear Fri 02-Jan-15 16:07:35

Newstartnewyear Fri 02-Jan-15 16:08:44

AuntieStella Fri 02-Jan-15 17:55:12

Apart from a blind spot in dealing promptly with incoming post, I do OK on the Unfucking daily/weekly lists. I am rather surprised!

I do like this excerpt from the 'random challenge' I clicked: "Throw away anything expired, unlikely to be used, gross, or of unknown origin".

Newstartnewyear Fri 02-Jan-15 18:14:18

catsofa Fri 02-Jan-15 18:17:50

Oh god yes that reminds me how disgusting my fridge is likely to be when I get around to it sad

Crikeyblimey Fri 02-Jan-15 18:29:06

Hi. We have major unfucking to do. Can I play?

I'm in the flying thread too but I need much inspiration.

Dh us willing and able - I just need to project manage!

JoanGalt Fri 02-Jan-15 18:38:33

I'm in.

I am so bad at keeping on top of the housework and it really gets me down. I'm a Sahm with with two preschoolers and the place is always a shit-tip.

I need to get on top of the house as its starting to affect family life.

Squeakyheart Fri 02-Jan-15 18:55:11

I'm in! Need to sort out spare bedroom as I have been hiding things in and on the wardrobe and now the bottom has fallen off and it's all skewiff!

Newstartnewyear Fri 02-Jan-15 20:06:18

Newstartnewyear Fri 02-Jan-15 20:07:45

Newstartnewyear Fri 02-Jan-15 20:16:19

Newstartnewyear Sat 03-Jan-15 07:34:58

RaspberryBlonde Sat 03-Jan-15 10:56:28

I'm going to give this a go...I'm back at work next week following maternity leave and want to get away from what I was doing previously which was DH and I spending all of Saturday afternoon on housework. We're not starting from the best place as I am blessed with a non napping DD so never got much done while I've been off work. Instead we have just accumulated lots of baby items!

Jobs for today: 1) get laundry on and start to work through ironing. 2) write list of things to pack for DD to take to the childminder. Also hoping to do some sorting in kitchen as things are starting to fall out when I open cupboards....

Newstart does the slow cooker do good stock? Last time I made some my kitchen was like a sauna so may give it a try. How long does it need?

Newstartnewyear Sat 03-Jan-15 11:24:37

HerrenaHarridan Sat 03-Jan-15 11:42:54

I have been doing this. Really starting to feel results.

Also been occasionally spectating on the Marie kondo threads without actually reading the book.

One of the surprising things from that which has really helped me let go of stuff is the process of touching them, thanking them and then visualising the impact they can have on someone else.

I've had a big motivation to sort it my home out as I've been holding off setting up my own business. I have felt that if I'm not on top of my home I can't take on anything else.

comeagainforbigfudge Sat 03-Jan-15 11:58:34

I might join in on this.

We've got our cleaning routine organised after me bring very grumpy with dh one afternoon after a nightshift with regards to keeping kitchen clean daily and bathroom/floors weekly scrub but it's the uncluttering we need to work on. probably mostly my stuff when I think about it

Made a good start today. Emptied and put away two boxes worth of books/stuff that somehow escaped the grand unpacking and put a pile of magazines etc out into our recycling bin.

I will have decluttered most of house before end of January I've decided this morn. It's doing my box in!!

A wash is on.
Having a mini mn break and found this.
Going to save the ufyh website to read later and go take the Xmas tree down before I lose motivation grin

afreshstartplease Sat 03-Jan-15 12:19:33

Ooooo I'm in

Had a go at this last yr too

Daltec Sat 03-Jan-15 12:28:50

I'm in. My house is in desperate need of a declutter and then I need to learn about cleaning routines and tidying. My mother never cleaned or tidied the house, so I've no idea how to go about it and always tend to go for the 'crash and burn' method when we're expecting visitors or just when it's got to the point where I can't bear it anymore.

I started reading the Kondo book this morning and I've already managed to fill two huge carrier bags full of clothes for the charity shop (they're going there this afternoon so that I can't have a change of heart).

But the best lesson so far for me in the book is the one about folding. I've just folded all the clothes in my DS drawers using the method she describes, and whilst I normally have to to fight to get his clothes in the drawers, there is actually space in there now! Can't wait to do all the bedrooms now!

Will give unfuck my habitat a go. Tried Flylady a while back, but all that stuff about shining your sink got on my nerves (I haven't got a stainless steel sink) and I really didn't like the idea of wearing shoes in the house.

Newstartnewyear Sat 03-Jan-15 14:28:39

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: