Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question, why do we air beds?

(58 Posts)
Easterchuck Thu 01-Jan-15 00:11:59

You know in the morning, throw back the duvet, remove pillows etc.
Why?

KillmeNow Thu 01-Jan-15 00:15:40

Do we? I dont .

MrsHathaway Thu 01-Jan-15 00:16:25

To get them dry after sweating in them all night. I'm sure it's half a pint each or something <vom>

NorksEnormous Thu 01-Jan-15 00:17:26

We do? blush

Pipbin Thu 01-Jan-15 00:25:44

Do we?
Is this the same people who wash their curtains fortnightly?

ilovepowerhoop Thu 01-Jan-15 00:25:47

I don't

Easterchuck Thu 01-Jan-15 00:28:41

Gosh, for the first time MN has made me feel house proud.
I did wash my curtains once after a chocolate eating in bed occasion and they shrank. That's a lesson learned.

If you tell me airing a bed is a waste of time I shall believe you.

suze28 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:29:00

I do but I don't really know why now I've had a think about it. Thought it was just something you did!

PigeonPie Thu 01-Jan-15 00:29:14

I do. Duvet flung back every morning and then I make the bed before doing the morning school run. Makes sense to get as much moisture out of the bed as possible.

Minorchristmascrisis Thu 01-Jan-15 00:31:25

Adds airing of beds to ever increasing to do list...

GoodKingQuintless Thu 01-Jan-15 00:33:46

Because bedbugs love hot and sweaty conditions, so by airing the bed, you prevent them from multiplying so much.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 01-Jan-15 00:34:24

Easterchuck - how did you get chocolate on the curtains from the bedshock !

I have seen threads about this. As others have said, gets rid of the sweat and smells I believe.

calzone Thu 01-Jan-15 00:35:23

Something else I dont do then shockshock

Leviticus Thu 01-Jan-15 01:28:17

But if you've got bedbugs you've got bedbugs surely.

A bit of fresh air is not going to send them packing, you'll need Rentokil.

ClartyYakker Thu 01-Jan-15 01:33:13

We air our beds all day grin

thats what I tell myself every night when I come upstairs and the duvet is still where I flung it in the morning.

Quitethewoodsman Thu 01-Jan-15 01:41:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 01-Jan-15 02:00:51

'Cos we sweat into them at night. Airing them gives them a chance to dry out.

Also, I believe dust-mitey things hate sunlight, so probably kills off a few of those too.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 01-Jan-15 02:06:26

This of course presumes that we make beds blush

Our bed "airs" all day by virtue of the duvet being crumpled up at the bottom and half on the floor. Sometimes DH gives it a shake.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Thu 01-Jan-15 02:08:12

X-post with Clarty grin

Pipbin Thu 01-Jan-15 09:05:33

You don't get bedbugs living in memory foam mattresses or pillows.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, I've never known anyone who airs their bed and I've never known anyone with bedbugs.

HermioneGrangerHair Thu 01-Jan-15 09:29:51

I think quintless means dust mites, no? They are bugs that live in beds, so bed bugs, but not bedbugs, which are hoofing great crawling fuckers.

Anyway, I also air beds, because humans do exude a lot of moisture as they sleep... Expose the mattress to the air, make sure the room is well ventilated. But it's not something I do actively, really... We just push the duvets off us in the morning, to the side, or the bottom or whatever, then don't make our beds till we get home in the eve, if at all. So really, it's one less thing to do, rather than one more.

Bunbaker Thu 01-Jan-15 09:49:58

Airing beds help enormously with eczema and asthma as dust mites prefer warm, damp conditions. Apparently there has been an increase in dust mites because they aren't killed off at low temperatures, so I always wash bedding at 60 degrees.

When you sleep you perspire about half a pint of moisture. If you don't air your bed with the windows open this moisture stays in your bedding and mattress which makes for an environment in pillows and mattress in which dust mites, moulds, and other microbial life have more of an opportunity to multiply.

I think not airing beds is skanky. I just tidy the bed by straightening the sheet and pillows and folding the duvet back neatly to air all day.

GoodKingQuintless Thu 01-Jan-15 10:01:15

Everybody's got bedbugs (unless perhaps they live in a memory foam world)

They are tiny. You cant see them. They feast on our dead skin and other shit we shed. So, part of our human bodily waste management team. confused

Bunbaker Thu 01-Jan-15 10:05:29

GoodKing You are referring to dust mites not bed bugs which are an entirely different thing.

Explanation here

GoodKingQuintless Thu 01-Jan-15 10:06:41

Yes, indeed I am. Thanks for the link!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now