Talk

Advanced search

Can I deep clean a leather sofa myself?

(14 Posts)
macnab Wed 31-Dec-14 10:50:56

I've been offered a lovely cream leather suite by a family member. Its in good condition i.e. no rips or marks as such but its quite grubby (she has a little dog)

I'd love it in my living room but cant afford to get it cleaned professionally. Can anyone advise how to give it a good deep clean myself please - if its possible (never had leather suite before so no idea)

BloodyDogHairs Wed 31-Dec-14 13:41:49

I use Dove soap and a cleaning brush to clean mine, it really does clean it up good.

iggymama Wed 31-Dec-14 13:59:19

I have cream leather sofas that I bought second hand. They seem to have had a very hard life and the dirt is ingrained in the leather, so I am giving up and hope to replace them with a darker colour. I will never buy cream again.

DrownedGirl Fri 02-Jan-15 09:57:34

Try leather shampoo? Test on small area first

spottymoo Sun 04-Jan-15 13:29:07

I use lukewarm water and washing up liquid in a spray bottle with a cloth cleans them perfect and no damage over the 6 yrs I've been doing it.

Methe Sun 04-Jan-15 13:31:43

I cleaned our light tan sofa before Christmas with hot soapy water (WU liquid) and a non scratch scouring pad.

The colour of the water when I'd finished was a sight to behold envy

PeachandBlack Sun 04-Jan-15 14:12:19

Simple soap and a face flannel can work wonders.

Scatlett4456 Sun 04-Jan-15 14:25:07

You nned to work out what Type of leather it is.
If its analine hide you need leather master. ( amazon) they do a cleaner and a replenisher.

It's great stuff and you could probably use it on a non analine hide.

Be very careful about using anything else, It will Damage the leather.

PigletJohn Sun 04-Jan-15 15:26:13

Soapy sponge (soap not WUL) will do it. Grubby parts, you can foam it up with a very very soft brush such as a shaving brush, then sponge away the foam. Use very little water. Polish to dry with an old vest.

You can buy a leather upholstry cleaning kit from furniture shops.

When clean, baby wipes will keep it clean easily. The skin lotion helps keep the leather supple (toilet soap also contains fat or oil which does the same).

bonzo77 Sun 04-Jan-15 15:39:59

I've done ours with saddle soap. Make sure you get plain saddle soap (it's clear like old fashioned Pears soap) not anything cloudy as it will leave a greasy coating on the leather. this is what I have.

PigletJohn Sun 04-Jan-15 16:11:09

I like the smell of saddle soap.

gymboywalton Sun 04-Jan-15 16:12:43

i do ours with baby soap and warm water and a soft cloth. comes up lovely

Buttercup27 Sun 04-Jan-15 16:13:39

Saddle soap cleans my leather sofa brilliantly. Even after a few months of 2 toddlers and a big dog destroying them!

lavendersun Sun 04-Jan-15 16:15:27

I use this

www.snackandtack.co.uk/equestrian-c1/tack-room-stable-c108/tack-cleaning-c113/bottled-leather-soap-p3839/s11658?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=stubben-bottled-leather-soap-size-250ml-size-250ml-12602&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CO-Busrd-sICFcPMtAodt2wAjA

Followed by this

www.edgemere.co.uk/stubben-hamanol-leather-conditioner?gclid=CLznm9_d-sICFQjLtAod9iEAcw

on a leather chair we have. I use it on my tack so have it around anyway but it is very good stuff, no residue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now