Talk

Advanced search

Is there a minimalism thread around?

(12 Posts)
MadameLeBean Mon 22-Dec-14 09:45:03

If so can someone link?
If not can I start it? smile

So pleased because after a year of being too busy with work and study, on Saturday my first day of "Xmas holidays" I started what I'm calling my Minimalism Project in earnest.

Three bags of clothes to charity
One full bin bag of crap
Sorted all my papers and beauty products

So lovely knowing what and where all my clothes are and they fit in the wardrobe!

Next up: bathroom cabinet, living room CDs/DVDs and boxes of photos (hellish!),review dd's clothes and the coat rack.

Getting dp to do the kitchen as that's his domain

Can't wait to be 100% clutter free!

Any tips for keeping it that way?

greeneggsandsocks Mon 22-Dec-14 12:32:15

here fsmile

Its a very long thread but some people have bought the book but there are also links to a daily fail article which explains some of the principles.

BriarRainbowshimmer Mon 22-Dec-14 16:04:57

Which book? Is it the Kondo book or another one about decluttering?

larryphilanddave Mon 22-Dec-14 19:00:03

This is what I believe to be the continuation of the ongoing minimalism threads. However I'll stick this one on my watch list too smile

MadameLeBean Mon 22-Dec-14 23:43:45

Great! Thanks guys will keep posting updates. smile
Good luck

lovelylara Tue 23-Dec-14 00:12:16

www.becomingminimalist.com/most-popular-posts/
I really recommend this site - happy reading!

greeneggsandsocks Tue 23-Dec-14 07:39:29

That looks good, thankyou lovelylara (and it's free!). I won't buy the kondo book because I think I am pretty much there with things anyway.

MadameLeBean Tue 23-Dec-14 08:28:01

My first goal is to get rid of enough stuff that I can actually put everything away! Baby steps..

MadameLeBean Wed 24-Dec-14 15:28:21

Bathroom is done!
I only have the living room cupboards (CDs/DVDs and crap) and one more pile of documents left to sort and my house is clutter free!!! smile ��cheers

We are gutting and redoing the bathroom in the new year which I'm really excited about as we've lived here for 2.5 years with a grotty old bathroom .. I'm dreaming about my minimalist bathroom with a single piece of soap lol

Mrsgrumble Fri 26-Dec-14 20:47:29

Good for you lebean

Love these threads. I sorted my whole house out with the m thread last year. I have never been as ruthless. Bought ikea expedit, trofast, loads of wicker baskets.

I made scrap books of my wedding day and two babies recently. As I get Mother's Day cards etc I will cut and stick in the verse etc and cut down on excess boxes.

I am sentimental but like no clutter around so I decided on some pretty boxes and have to keep momento's that just fit these.

Even today I got rid of excess baby clothes and maternity clothes and have bagged for the boot.

Have you bought storage ?

MadameLeBean Fri 26-Dec-14 21:29:52

Not bought any extra storage yet seeing if I can get rid of enough to fit in existing..

Dilemma about CDs though as my hard drive which I uploaded them all to years ago has gone kaput so don't want to get rid of the actual CDs (not that I have time to re upload to iTunes urgh what a huge job)

At uni I had time to make playlists and organise my music now I have had the same 50 songs on iPhone for what feels like forever and I'm so sick of them all but most music not uploaded to computer because of said hard drive issue

Am hoping I can get it fixed in a shop as the light still comes on but it doesn't appear on the desktop when plugged in

(Should I just give up and get spotify premium??)

That and photos are my two biggest "projects".. I have loads of boxes of photos that I need to sort through and either bin or put in albums or frame

Any tips for tackling photos??

greeneggsandsocks Sat 27-Dec-14 09:23:03

Should I just give up and get spotify premium?? I would, its great. I had to accept that after DC3 arrived I would never have time to sit and make playlists from CD's. Now I sit on spotify though with my headphones on, I listen to way more music that I used to from CD's.

I also don't bother putting photos in albums as it takes too long, I just keep them in a box, eventually I will write on the back a date and names so that when I am long gone my family know who all the people are in the pictures (my Grandma did this).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now