Talk

Advanced search

washing machine not working well - try to fix or replace?

(16 Posts)
LaCerbiatta Sat 20-Dec-14 13:47:30

Our washing machine is 18 months old and started to not spin well and makes a horrendous loud noise while trying to spin. We only had 1 year warranty so would need to pay for any repair.

Called the make - zanussi - and they told me the average cost for call out + repair is 120 pounds. It only costs 280 pounds new so I'm a bit reluctant to spend that much money on an obviously poor quality machine...

The alternative would be to call someone to fix it (plumber? Electrician?) But would it be cheaper? And worth it?

Any experienced views would be most welcome! smile

Fingeronthebutton Sat 20-Dec-14 16:02:00

Washing machines are not rocket science. Unplug it. Take the back off. It won't bite you lol. See if there's anything obvious stopping it spinning.
If nothing obvious it's probably the Mother Board, that's the electronic bit that makes it all work. You can buy these yourself and put them in. They are usually positioned under the top casing.
Is it pumping water out?

AcrossthePond55 Sat 20-Dec-14 16:13:25

I agree with finger. They're pretty 'basic'. DH fixed ours when it wouldn't drain. It was a simple piece, some kind of a valve-thingy and didn't cost much. Pop out and pop in. He had actually called a plumber who diagnosed it and met DH at a coffee shop to sell him the part.

It may be as simple as having something 'stuck' in the mechanism. Look first.

SwedishEdith Sat 20-Dec-14 16:18:51

Agree with fixing yourself. If you Google what's wrong you should be able to work it out and then check on YouTube about how to fix it.

PigletInABlanketJohn Sat 20-Dec-14 16:46:09

horrendous loud noise while trying to spin means a mechanical problem, not electronic and not plumbing. So not motherboard or valve. Probably means a bra-wire has got through the holes in the drum. See if you can see it poking through.

Also open and clean out the pump filter, though you would also hear that while draining (without spin).

It would be very difficult for you to take the drum apart.

LaCerbiatta Sat 20-Dec-14 20:30:55

I've opened the back of the back of the machine but nothing looks obviously wrong.
Have googled and you tubed and the most likely explanation appears to be the drum bearings... Too challenging for a diyer sad

Am again inclined to replacing it even though it's only 18 months old....

ClaimedByMe Sat 20-Dec-14 20:32:45

Did you empty the filter at the front bottom of the machine to make sure nothing is stuck in there?

LaCerbiatta Sat 20-Dec-14 20:32:49

The horrendous noise is not as if something is trapped or causing a blockage, it's just the same noise it normally makes but a lot louder. So maybe it is electric?

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Dec-14 20:36:46

Can you find a local domestic appliance repair person ? We have one who charges £20 for a call out and the first half hour of his time.

PigletInABlanketJohn Sat 20-Dec-14 20:53:45

If it really is the drum bearings, it is not economical to repair. As they wore out, you should have seen traces of black grease and tiny metallic shavings on the washing. Did you?

LaCerbiatta Sat 20-Dec-14 20:59:48

No, no black grease or metallic shavings.
And yes I emptied the filter. It had a few limescale stones, but it didn't make any difference.

Will google a repair person, but I would guess a LOT more than £20 - bloody rip off Cambridge sad

LaCerbiatta Sat 20-Dec-14 21:01:02

Thank you all though smile

madwomanacrosstheroad Sat 20-Dec-14 21:07:17

Find out if it is something trapped. Otherwise, if machine is only 18 months old it is covered under sales of goods act. Forget about warranty. Legally when you buy goods they have to be as described, fit for purpose and of acceptable quality. So if it was a £10 toaster, you would expect it to break after a year or so. However a washing machine you expect to last for longer than 18 months. Get a cheap local repair person to assess that it isn't something stupid like a trapped sock or bra wire and if it something serious go to the shop, tell them you are claiming your statutory rights under the sale of goods act as machine in s not fit for purpose and not of satisfactory quality. It is the shops responsibility, not the manufacturers as your contract is with shop not the manufacturer. If they don't repair it free of charge go to citizens advice or consumer council. For white goods protection under sale of goods act is up to five years. That's why extended warranties are wast of money.

LaCerbiatta Sat 20-Dec-14 21:12:47

Thanks madwoman. However this machine came with the house - new build. Is the house developer responsible then?

madwomanacrosstheroad Sat 20-Dec-14 21:19:16

Yes, whoever supplied you with the machine. If the developer sold the house with machine as part of it than it is his responsibility Google sales of goods act. I assume the machine was new. I would do it in writing. Let me know how you get on.

LaCerbiatta Sat 20-Dec-14 21:36:57

Thank you so much! I'll try that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now