Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing a rug?

(8 Posts)
CawCanny Thu 18-Dec-14 02:16:04

Has anyone successfully done this that could offer me some tips or recommend a product. We have a 8'x10' cream rug that's desperately dirty. It's obviously too big for the washing machine and the rug doctor shampoo machine I rented has failed to even faintly improve it! I've been pondering the idea of dyeing it a more practical colour but not sure if it's possible? I don't know what it's made of (maybe Polyester? it wasn't that expensive) it's quite shaggy and all one colour (filthy! grin)

wowfudge Thu 18-Dec-14 09:33:40

If it is polyester it won't take the dye you can buy for domestic use. I would suggest either having it professionally cleaned or, depending on it's size, taking it to a launderette. Use one of their big machines on a low temp with bio powder. But do find out what it is made of for sure. Washing it might be 'kill or cure'!

wowfudge Thu 18-Dec-14 09:35:13

Just realised I hadn't seen the dimensions - I doubt that will fit in even a large washing machine.

missedmebythatmuch Fri 19-Dec-14 09:59:54

There is an excellent technique for cleaning rugs in powder snow, if you look on apartment therapy.com. I live in Sydney so no snow ever, so I clean my rugs by sloshing wool wash and water all over them and scrubbing with a stiff broom. you need a warm dry day for the rug to dry properly, though.

wouldn't recommend dyeing a synthetic rug, as I think the colour would take unevenly if at all, and it might bleed onto your floor.

CawCanny Mon 22-Dec-14 05:54:04

Thanks for your replies, I can't find a label on it, I've looked under most of it but one corner is under the edge of our (v heavy) sofa so there's a chance the label might be there, I will check and see.
I could haul it outdoors to do the dying potentially so the floor would be ok. The rug itself weighs a ton too so definitely not a candidate for even the biggest washing machine in the world!

CawCanny Mon 22-Dec-14 05:55:34

Meant to say I did try washing it too, with biological washing powder dissolved in super hot water, to no avail!
Zero snow here either!

wowfudge Mon 22-Dec-14 08:55:58

No to hot water Caw: it 'fixes' stains. Too late now I guess. Always better to use cold water on stains or marks you want to get out before they stain. Also biological washing detergent works better at lower temperatures - too much heat will just kill the enzymes rather that activate them.

CawCanny Mon 22-Dec-14 09:14:49

Whoops, wowfudge I guess I messed up on a few levels then! Its not so much stains even, it's just general black/grey muck. It's right by the door where a whole summer's worth of foot/pool/yard dirt has been trampled into it. Maybe it's time to replace...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now