Talk

Advanced search

Do you use furniture polish?

(12 Posts)
pussinboots61 Tue 16-Dec-14 21:11:23

I haven't used spray polish for years as I find the fumes not very nice. So I now use polish wipes and dust inbetween. However, I sometimes think a good proper spray polish will make the furniture shine more. I have heard that some people never use polish at all.

HopeClearwater Tue 16-Dec-14 21:40:00

well there's not much point on the flatpack stuff...

ArchangelGallic Tue 16-Dec-14 21:48:45

No because it makes me sneeze.

I occasionally use a cream type polish instead.

Not that I dust very often either wink

olbas Tue 16-Dec-14 22:03:36

Yes but not on the furniture!

EmNetta Wed 17-Dec-14 00:18:36

On the wooden furniture, I use beeswax polish with few drops of lavender essential oil, but only once a year. Friend with lots of antiques sends pieces to a furniture shop every few years to have them renovated, and they started by removing the old, accumulated polish and dirt.
It does admittedly look very good, and I remember her comment that most people use too much polish.
I stopped using the aerosol stuff about ten years ago.

Mumblechum1 Wed 17-Dec-14 00:21:19

Yes, most of our furniture is antique or made from reclaimed wood, mostly burr oak, elm or olive wood and I use the recommended stuff regularly and wax it when I can be bothered. It does look v good when it's kept well polished

EthelCardew Wed 17-Dec-14 07:52:59

I thought you weren't supposed to polish very often due to the build up. My cherry bedroom suite came with instructions to only wipe with a duster.

In the same vein - is there ANYTHING that will detract dust?! It drives me spare!

Footlight Wed 17-Dec-14 07:58:17

I occasionally use a Method polish on some old ercol stuff that really needs polish, but not on anything else.

NoisyOyster Wed 17-Dec-14 08:13:14

I have a lot of heavy sheesham wood furniture and one of my joys is once every two months sit down with a jar of linseed wax and "deep wax" the wood.

Dust it and spray polish maybe once a week

I love shiny wood

needs to get a life

chemenger Wed 17-Dec-14 08:18:57

We don't use aerosols at all in our house, we have a non-aerosol spray which is useful for lifting dust but doesn't really make things look nicer. I polish real wood with a beeswax solid polish a few times a year as well which does make it look and feel lovely.

CremeEggThief Wed 17-Dec-14 19:40:25

Never. I dust with a damp cloth anywhere between weekly and monthly and that's it.

BauerTime Wed 17-Dec-14 19:43:36

I don't have anything worth polishing!

I wipe stuff with a damp cloth and a bit of stardrops and that's about my limit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now