Talk

Advanced search

Smelly Loo

(11 Posts)
LoisEinhorn Fri 12-Dec-14 09:09:26

Since giving my loo a really good clean there's a smell of stale wee coming from the bowl.
Any ideas? I squirts stuff up under the rim but its still there.
FIrst time this has happened :/

DeeCayed Fri 12-Dec-14 09:43:32

Could it not be coming from the floor?

There's 3 males in my house and ds2 sometimes wee's one the floor by accident and the vinyl tiles have lifted at the back so wee usually ends up underneath making it stink.

EarSlaps Fri 12-Dec-14 09:52:32

Our loo smells despite constant cleaning. I've sniffed around and it's in the bowl and the seat- I've scrubbed both but it comes back even when it's not used since scrubbing. The seat just seems to hang onto smell.

I've started using a vinegar, citric acid and essential oil mix on which helps a bit but it still niffs.

LoisEinhorn Fri 12-Dec-14 10:11:20

I will double check the floor, 4 males so quite possibly!
Will check the seat too. Weird how its just started though.

PigletInABlanketJohn Fri 12-Dec-14 17:06:14

might be round the hinge. Washing the crevices with a soft brush may help.

to help keep the bowl and the rim clean, I strongly recommend Parazone Bleach Cistern Blocks. They dissolve in the cistern over a month or so and also dissolve limescale. You won't believe me, so take a photo inside the cistern the day you use the first one, and a month later when you drop the second one in.

LoisEinhorn Sun 14-Dec-14 13:54:02

Brill thanks!

EmGee Mon 15-Dec-14 13:22:02

Where can I get Parazone bleach blocks from? I've seen them recommended by PJ before. They sound great.

Hhhhmhowtochoose Mon 15-Dec-14 13:24:20

There might be a leak. I had an odd smell coming from my toilet and eventually found a small leak.

PigletInABlanketJohn Mon 15-Dec-14 13:44:02

Tesco sometimes have them. Other shops may have a different brand, but check they are bleach blocks (white), not scent or colour.

If you cistern is both (a) over 20 years old and (b) has the water supply to the ballcock coming in through the bottom of the cistern, not the side, they will accelerate the aging of the perished rubber washer at the bottom, and it may drip earlier. If you have fitted a new ballcock, it will have had a new rubber washer and will last for many years.

PigletInABlanketJohn Mon 15-Dec-14 13:45:02

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=257011138

EmGee Mon 15-Dec-14 13:46:40

Thanks PJ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now