Talk

Advanced search

Black mould

(10 Posts)
dangerrabbit Thu 11-Dec-14 23:04:14

Not sure whether I should have posted this in property. We have a Victorian house with a rear extension which is a few steps lower down than the main part of the house. All the plumbing is at the back of the house in the rear extension. The bathroom is above the utility room which contains a tumble dryer and washing machine.

Recently we have been having problems with tiny dots of black mould in the bathroom which is growing in the windows, wall and ceiling. These are spreading fast and I tried to remove them a few weeks ago using diluted bleach. The mould has now come back, I think it is because the bathroom is poorly ventilated although we leave the window open when we have a bath/shower.

Recently I've started noticing dots of black mould growing inside the washing machine where you put the soap in. Could this mould be connected to the bathroom mould?

Does anyone have any tips about how I can get rid of bathroom and washing machine mould. Do I need to buy a dehumidifier? Do we need to get a fan in the wall in the bathroom? Would a vinegar solution work with the bathroom mould? Has anyone had any success with mould removing spray and can anyone recommend any products? Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get rid of the washing machine mould?

dangerrabbit Thu 11-Dec-14 23:10:58

Should add that in the summer we had a flood in our utility room and the water got under the washing machine - I was unable to clean under here due to it being plumbed in

KissMyFatArse Thu 11-Dec-14 23:15:04

There's a mould spray I bought from b&q which I've used loads and have bought repeatedly. I'm sure it's made by h&g (?) it says mould something on the label and it's cheap at around £5-6. Says for use in bathrooms etc but I've used it on painted walls in an older property and it was brilliant. White bottle with red and yellow labelling I'm sure

PigletJohn Thu 11-Dec-14 23:17:22

it will be caused by excessive humidity.

A powerful fan will help a lot.

If you drape wet washing around the house or over radiators, it will add a lot of water vapour to the air, and it will diffuse around your home.

Ventilation is more effective than heat.

wowfudge Thu 11-Dec-14 23:26:10

The black mould in your washing machine can be cured by leaving the door and drawer open to dry after use.

It's connected only as far as mould is caused by humidity/moisture.

dangerrabbit Fri 12-Dec-14 17:33:36

Thanks for this everyone

I have put some drain cleaner in my washing machine and washed it at 95*
Also left open the door afterwards
Thanks for your tips

LL12 Fri 12-Dec-14 18:45:23

I would take the washing machine drawer out completely and clean it with bleach spray, leave it out to dry overnight.
I now always leave the machine drawer and door open a bit after every wash.

Rosa Fri 12-Dec-14 18:48:18

Mix bicarb with pure bleach and then pat on mould spots of give a very light rub. Then once dried you can brush off any excess bicarb . I leave mine there as can't be bothered to climb up again.

Rosa Fri 12-Dec-14 18:48:42

The walls I mean ...not the washing machine !!!

radiobedhead Fri 12-Dec-14 19:25:34

If black mould and condensation is caused by not enough ventilation then why do I get them in my bedroom where the windows are so crap you can feel the wind coming through them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now