Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

"Dusting" walls

(10 Posts)
berceuse Thu 11-Dec-14 20:23:24

This sounds stupid but how do I clean my walls which are just painted with matt paint.

I live in a dusty old farmhouse - polished floorboards upstairs and downstairs and solid fuel heating as primary (oil backup).

Honestly everywhere just gets so dusty - the walls in the upstairs hallway have two sloping bits where chimneys are and they get really really dusty. Have tried hoovering with the brush attachment which sort of works but a 40 ft hallway takes a lot of hoovering with a 3" brush.

Would a feather duster type thing work? Anyone else have to do this sort of thing? I have no idea.

PigletInABlanketJohn Thu 11-Dec-14 20:33:49

try not to wet-wash or sponge. Once you do, the dust will smear and stain. I think the vac dusting brush is the best you can do.

PigletJohn Thu 11-Dec-14 20:52:44

p.s.

A feather duster will just send the dust up into the air. Afterwards it will settle again.

Permanentlyexhausted Thu 11-Dec-14 20:59:58

I would use a feather duster to loosen the dust from the walls, allow the dust to settle a bit, and then hoover the floor.

I use my feather dusters all the time. Fab for venetian blinds, dusting between the spindles on the stairs, etc.

berceuse Thu 11-Dec-14 21:28:14

Right, thank you - I will try a feather duster and carry on with the hoover whilst losing the will to live.

Thanks PigletJohn, I learnt not to wipe anything a very long time ago. I love our heating system and the fact that we have fires but god it is dirty. If only I liked silk paint, which I don't.

BertieBotts Thu 11-Dec-14 21:30:11

Oh we have this issue in the communal stairs of our flat which we have to clean once every 2 weeks. We use a special gadget thing, I don't know what it's called, but I'll try to find a picture. Similar to a feather duster but with a microfibre cloth with lots of "fingers", microfibre has some kind of static thing going on so it attracts the dust rather than moving it around.

BertieBotts Thu 11-Dec-14 21:32:24

Ooh, like this, except it's on a stick rather than being a glove thing. www.amazon.co.uk/Jml-V1357-Microfibre-Super-Mitt/dp/B000L3PYT8/ref=sr_1_20?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1418333517&sr=1-20&keywords=microfibre

PigletInABlanketJohn Thu 11-Dec-14 21:39:53

just wondering, do you have a modern vac with a good filter that traps all the dust? older vacs blow a lot of dust out in the exhaust.

berceuse Fri 12-Dec-14 06:20:01

I have two dysons (which I don't particularly rate but that is another story) - usually use a little cylinder thing that lives in an upstairs cupboard for the dusty hallway.

I think it must just be sucked up from one of the multi fuel stoves which is in a room at the bottom of the stairwell. It usually stays in for four months during the winter and the 'grime' is really noticeable then (like now).

I suppose no carpets and odd exposed beams here and there might make it worse?

I might try something like that microfibre finger thing above. If I could buy a foot wide brush from dyson it probably wouldn't seem like such a chore.

berceuse Fri 12-Dec-14 07:59:58

Right, I am pinning my hopes on this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-48934-Flat-Extendable-Handle/dp/B001OXHCEO

Thanks BertieBotts - I never knew there was such a thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now