Talk

Advanced search

How can I make my lobby smell nice

(20 Posts)
DonnaLymansSockPuppet Thu 11-Dec-14 14:11:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EthelCardew Thu 11-Dec-14 15:28:23

I would wash the woodwork, doors, tiles etc down in diluted Zoflora. Spray the mat with it too.

There's plenty of flavours to choose from, the scent is really strong and fades down beautifully. In between cleans, a quick spray will keep it up if you've got people coming over.

PigletInABlanketJohn Thu 11-Dec-14 15:37:17

perhaps it is a bit damp. I expect it is cold, and with wet coats in there, you will get condensation and mould. If warm air from the house gets in (e.g. there is an ill-fitting door) it will cause condensation when the warm air hits the cold walls.

Best thing is to ventilate it well. A loose letter box will probably be enough.

Examine the floor to see if it is damp. There may be no dpm. Or maybe the roof leaks.

InanimateCarbonRod Thu 11-Dec-14 15:40:22

Hide some tumble dryer sheets in coat pockets and shoes.

ALittleFaith Thu 11-Dec-14 15:40:57

Is there a radiator? I read once probably on here that a bit of fabric conditioner on a radiator diffuses the scent around the room.

DonnaLymansSockPuppet Thu 11-Dec-14 16:23:59

DonnaLymansSockPuppet Thu 11-Dec-14 16:25:10

PigletInABlanketJohn Thu 11-Dec-14 17:36:45

if it's draughty, that should dry it out. Is the floor damp? Does it have a small (leaky) roof?

DonnaLymansSockPuppet Thu 11-Dec-14 18:22:04

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Thu 11-Dec-14 18:26:04

Can you still buy those stick on air freshners? A couple of those on the back of the door or wall above the coat rack.

Lavender bags hung on the coat rack?

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Thu 11-Dec-14 18:28:59

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121488423929?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=m&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Just remembered at work in the loos they have a unit stuck to the wall and it sprays air freshener intermittently. I think it's an air wick one.

DonnaLymansSockPuppet Thu 11-Dec-14 18:33:38

DonnaLymansSockPuppet Thu 11-Dec-14 18:35:50

Thisismyfirsttime Thu 11-Dec-14 18:48:02

I have one of those air spray things that automatically spray every so many minutes hanging on a screw drilled in up high in my shared entrance before front door space. And one in my hallway. and one in the toilet. And one in the living room. I change the scent every time it runs out so I can smell it again!

silversixpence Thu 11-Dec-14 18:52:09

I recently bought a waitrose cottage garden diffuser and stuck it in the stained glass window recess next

silversixpence Thu 11-Dec-14 18:52:56

To the front door and it makes the porch smell beautiful.

DonnaLymansSockPuppet Thu 11-Dec-14 19:09:14

Allthelittlefoxes Thu 11-Dec-14 19:15:32

What about buying a sort of wreath thing (fabric or artificial leaves) and then dabbing on essential oils and tying some cinnamon sticks to it - hang on back of front door? Can just dab / shake on a bit more oil if the smell fades, l'occitane do nice wee bottles of fragrance.

calendula Fri 12-Dec-14 22:16:10

I reckon if you run a small dehumidifier in there your problem will be solved. Your shoes and coats will be dry and the musty smell will disappear.

ProveMeWrong Fri 12-Dec-14 22:26:46

Yeah I reckon ventilation is the root of the smell. No amount of covering with spray will get rid. It will just smell of manky air freshener and damp instead. You need to tackle the damp first. Ventilate either by opening door a while, Piglet John's letterbox trick or getting a door open through to the house. Can you identify where the smell comes from? Get your nose next to the carpet, floors, shoes, coats. I'd definitely do the zeflora trick which gives it all a good wash, then maybe hire a cleaner for the stair carpet for half a day and wash all your coats/ replace insoles in shoes. Smells usually come from something porous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now