Talk

Advanced search

I have just thrown away my Dyson Animal because of the constant blockages and repair work needed every time I use it

(24 Posts)
Kitsmummy Thu 11-Dec-14 10:09:49

In a rage, I admit, I have just thrown away my dyson animal. Virtually every time I used it it needed some sort of investigation to remove a blockage somewhere. Sometimes it would chuck rubbish back,out instead of sucking it in. Today it had no suction on the nozzle bit and I could not find the problem. I'm bloody sick of it (and also stressed by the mud and mess the dogs are making in the new house so that hasn't helped either).

I have messy dogs and wooden floors throughout and I need a Hoover which isn't going to require fixing every time I want to use it.

Ps, before anyone suggests it I do v often clean the filters, they were done two weeks ago so that is not the problem. Anyway, it's gone now and I need a replacement!

Thanks

Jumblebee Thu 11-Dec-14 10:15:49

I bought a vax hoover in their factory sale and I love it, absolute bargain grin how long had you had the dyson for?

NowThenMardyBum Thu 11-Dec-14 10:22:12

miele cat and dog. every time.

rabbit123 Thu 11-Dec-14 11:18:39

I don't do bagless vacs. I hated my Dyson. It was so fiddly and plasticy and was messy to keep running with constant filter washing.

The best vacs are the bagged vacs. Sebo, Miele and the Numatics (Henry/Hetty etc). The bags last a long time and because they're now high quality, almost like s fleece material, they don't clog up and lose suction like the old paper bsgs did years ago. No messy filters or plastic bins to wash out either and on the Miele and Sebo uprights, you don't have to dismantle half the thing just to use the hose.

We've got 2 Sebo uprights. One is fairly new, about 2 years old, but the other was bought by my parents in 1994 and was handed down when they moved house. Still runs like new too with no clogs or broken plastic fiddly bits

Kitsmummy Thu 11-Dec-14 12:50:34

Thank you, it was less than a year old blush but it just made me so angry!

Riverland Thu 11-Dec-14 12:56:36

My dyson also binned. Tripe. Expensive tripe.

Paddlinglikehell Thu 11-Dec-14 13:17:31

Glad its not just me then! I have been a Dyson user for years, must have had three or four and all of them worked well, a bit like Lego to take apart and put back.

However, I got an Animal recently and it drove me up the wall!! We have two dogs, wood and stone floors and like you every time it blocked - the advert - doesn't lose suction - ever!! What a misnomer. Can you tell I was frustrated?

I only had it two months and it blocked completely. I took the whole thing apart, on the phone to their advice line, finally, they said they could send someone out, but if there was nothing wrong with it, I would have to pay £70 - this is after having spent £250 on the thing in the first place. I AM NOT AN ENGINEER - I didn't know if there was something wrong with it, it was bloody new!

In the end I took it back to Costco, who said they couldn't refund my money, however, I stuck to my guns, as it should have lasted longer than two months, they refunded me and I bought a Henry.

Little Henry is brilliant, nothing to go wrong, picks up the hair, dust grit, anything else that can go down the tube, so far nothing has blocked it, although a bit of stick (the dog brings them in), got wedged, which was easily fixable. I can get through a fair few Henrys at £85 each for the cost of the Dyson. Never again!

Gosh that was a rant - I feel better now. OP, I am with you, best rid of it, don't be tempted to get it back in, I swear they are the work of the Devil!

CleanLinesSharpEdges Thu 11-Dec-14 13:52:51

Miele cat and dog. I adore the rotating brush thingy.

Iaminvalid Thu 11-Dec-14 18:56:55

Another vote for Miele cat and dog. I also chucked out a dyson "that never looses suction" ha liars! have had Miele for 3 years now and never ever had a problem

poocatcherchampion Thu 11-Dec-14 19:27:50

love Henry.
enough said.

BeHoHoHove Thu 11-Dec-14 19:30:12

Vote Henry!

I took a dislike to my Dyson, big heavy clunky thing.
Henry is sweet and follows me around

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Thu 11-Dec-14 19:31:20

Rubber seal thing between the cyclone part and the body - the rubber bit round the hole you can see when you take it off to empty it - needs a bit of a wiggle sometimes or it doesn't meet properly and you lose suction.

Has always been a problem with Dysons.

blahblahblah72 Thu 11-Dec-14 20:06:52

Dyson's are just so bogus in my experience. I have a Miele now but also recommend a Henry.
I have NEVER understood the whole Dyson 'thing' - they are so so bad I'm surprised they're still in business to be honest. Junk - period.

mausmaus Thu 11-Dec-14 20:08:41

have a bosch eco thingy which is brilliant.

Theselittlelightsofmine Thu 11-Dec-14 20:08:42

Henry Vote from me

MehsMum Thu 11-Dec-14 20:09:40

Sebo.
Have just had to get it fixed: princely sum of £25 for a new cable, and it's such a fab hoover that I don't mind.

The Dyson was a pita, though DH loved it for its techie-ness.

MehsMum Thu 11-Dec-14 20:11:18

PS The man in the shop who flogged me the Sebo said he wouldn't recommend the Dyson even though they cost more...

Melodygrace Thu 11-Dec-14 20:13:50

I used to have 5 dysons. Yes 5. One after the other they all broke in quick succession. Then the dyson repair man would come out and fix them all and the same thing would happen. (I only bought 3 of them the other 2 I was given)
henry on the other hand is alive and well and has never broke. The dysons have been skipped and never will I buy another. Absolute crap all of them.

Kitsmummy Thu 11-Dec-14 20:20:39

A Henry is now winging it's way to me, thanks for all the advice smile

Owllady Thu 11-Dec-14 20:24:59

I got rid of my Dyson animal for the same reason

I have a bissel pet upright which was only cheap (just a dry one, not a wet dry) I haven't had a problem with it at all

I had a cheap morphy Richards pet one too which was better than the Dyson

BeHoHoHove Thu 11-Dec-14 22:11:23

Henry does hard floors, carpets and has recently seen off the builders dust after some renovation work - and he's still smiling unlike me

DudleyDoRight Thu 11-Dec-14 22:40:46

Miele cat and dog. Mine is only about 2 years old but it still vacuums like a new vacuum and I still love it!

ovaltine Thu 11-Dec-14 22:47:52

Are you joking? Henry's are absolutely shite!!

ishouldcocoaHoHoHoHoHo Thu 11-Dec-14 22:51:40

Henry's are ok on hard floors, but covering lots of carpet is seriously hard work with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now