Talk

Advanced search

If you pay someone to do your ironing....

(5 Posts)
18yearsoftrying Tue 09-Dec-14 06:55:47

How much do you/would you pay and would you prefer to pay "per item" or by the kilo? Would you be happy to pay different prices for different items eg - mens shirts V childrens t-shirt?

All info welcome - thanks!

cansu Tue 09-Dec-14 06:57:46

I pay for how long I think it would take. A massive load of a weeks ironing would normally take me three hours so I pay for three hours of their time.

wowfudge Tue 09-Dec-14 12:10:45

I've had ironing done on all three bases. I don't bother these days as DP takes his own shirts to a place near his work for their wash and iron service.

You know how much it's going to cost upfront on a per item basis - and different things do take different amounts of time and skill to iron. There's a launderette near work which does ironing. I found their price per shirt fine compared with other ironing services, but they charge �3 for a pair of trousers. Now if the trousers are jeans and require no creases then they require a lower level of skill and are quicker to do than a pair of suit trousers. I can iron trousers without creases in just a couple of minutes so I couldn't justify paying their price.

By weight, I found the ironing service would round things down and up for regular customers so it ended up being fairer - they charged per full kilo but if we had, say, 3.2 kilos one week and 4.6 the next, for example, we got charged for 8 kilos overall, not 9. They also levied an additional 20p charge per shirt, because they take more time to iron.

On a time basis, well I know how long it takes me and would expect a professional service to be quicker - I found that an odd way to do things. How do they ensure all the ironers work at the same pace, for example? The only place I've know do that was a service launderette where they had about 6 staff all employed to iron.

18yearsoftrying Sat 13-Dec-14 19:00:59

Thankyou for the posts! I have a lot to think about.

wowfudge Sat 13-Dec-14 19:34:58

The biggest issue I had with any ironing service was that our requirement was irregular - sometimes every ten days sometimes once a fortnight or so and even with notice they couldn't collect/drop off when we wanted and I ended up rushing to collect half the time.

With hindsight it would have been better to put a regular arrangement in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now