Talk

Advanced search

Where do you keep your shoes?!

(10 Posts)
smiales01 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:27:38

Seriously, my hall, under stairs, under bed is full of them just in boxes and it's driving me crazy. Add coats to this too actually.

sunflower49 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:36:23

I'm having this same issue myself.

We have a 'bunk bed', though (a double, adult one, with wardrobe underneath)and DP built me a box/trunk type thing to put shoes in, under the bed. But it only fits about 6 pairs in.

I was looking at shoe storage ideas and came across this , www.shelterness.com/20-creative-ideas-to-store-your-shoes/
And now I'm trying to figure a way to hang shoes rather than store them 'in' something, I like the idea of them not taking up floorspace.

wowfudge Tue 09-Dec-14 12:20:21

We have shoe racks in the bottom of the wardrobes. They're Ikea ones with shoe tree shaped holders for each shoe. I screwed 64 of the bloody things onto the frames.

When we had built in wardrobes in another house, I had shoe racks like these on the floor of the wardrobe. I don't think I got them from JL though. I've got them stored in the garage as they were not easy to find and I am loathe to chuck them out should we need them again.

A lot of shoe storage things are really bulky and don't actually take a lot of shoes. I would steer clear of expandable shoe racks which are plastic with metal rods because they are often not very good quality and just end up falling apart.

bonzo77 Tue 09-Dec-14 12:24:50

I have 2 like this Not very attractive but work well. Hang in my wardrobe so out of sight. Boots are in the floor of my wardrobe though.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Tue 09-Dec-14 12:29:43

Some shoes are in the porch in a huge linen cupboard/press type of thing. Some coats are on hooks in the porch.

Fancier shoes and coats or seasonal stuff is kept in my dressing room <wanker>

iwantginsoakedXmas Tue 09-Dec-14 18:53:28

We have loads of shoes. The 'coat cupboard' has a floor to ceiling shelving full. And still some have to go on the floor. This is for just me, DH and DS. Summer sandals get put away when they won't be worn again for a while - otherwise the cupboard would overflow.

smiales01 Tue 09-Dec-14 22:05:07

I think this is a big issue as we are so short on space! Our house lacks storage, plus boxes of shoes in cupboards is so impractical isn't it. You need them out of sight but easy to get to! Ahh drives mad, I'm on a declutter drive. DS bedroom/playroom my biggest bugbear at the minute...

erin99 Thu 11-Dec-14 22:25:15

We had some old fashioned shoe cubbies made. We all have small feet so we had very small cubbies. The carpenter thought they were for children's shoes!

We have a tiny hallway so we limit everyone to a couple of pairs plus wellies. I have no idea how people who love shoes cope! I just don't have the organisational skills.

TheLovelyBoots Fri 12-Dec-14 16:13:23

Maybe you need a shoe cull?

I keep about 8 pairs (seasonal) in my closet shelves, the ones I don't wear every day.

I keep 3 pairs of everyday shoes on a very low shelf below our coat rack in the entry way, as does everyone on the family.

I probably only have 15 pairs of shoes in total, but I'm not a huge shoe person so it's easy for me to limit them.

Hurr1cane Fri 12-Dec-14 16:17:08

Shoe rack in the hall smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now