Talk

Advanced search

do you have your shampoo etc 'out'?

(111 Posts)
feelingunsupported Sun 07-Dec-14 23:41:38

As in on display in the bathroom?

We're in a 'do up' house and the 'doing up' is taking a lot longer than planned! After living in a total mess for 4+ years the bathroom is nearly done and I'm sick to the back teeth of living in crap and I'm craving clutter free.

Our bathroom is quite big but there's no obvious place for a cupboard.

Eventually there'll be one on the landing right outside the bathroom door so everything will go in there.

Sorry - I'm waffling but I'm lying in the bath looking at the shower gel / soaps etc and they're getting on my nerves. they don't match my bathroom

No 2nd toilet until the year after next at least when downstairs gets
started.

Do you have your Head and Shoulders out on 'display' or do you put your toiletries away? ?

Pipbin Sun 07-Dec-14 23:45:00

Stuff I use daily, like shower gel etc is on the windowsill. Stuff like sanitary towels and sticks for my poas obsession are in the bathroom cabinet.
Can you have a mirrored cabinet over the bath for stuff like that.

Tzibeleh Sun 07-Dec-14 23:45:40

Shower cubicle stuff is 'out', as are toothpastes, toothbrushes and handwash. Everything else is in the cupboards.

We redid our bathrooms so that we could have (a) ledges for stuff that is left out, so that the clutter does not spread anywhere else, and (b) lots and LOTS of convenient storage behind mirrored doors.

BackforGood Mon 08-Dec-14 00:01:41

Like Pipbin - daily shower gel / bubble bath lives in the shower / on side of bath. Toothpaste lives on sink.
Spares / next bottles live in a cupboard (like yours will be, on the landing) along with first aid, medicines, and towels.
Sanitary towels, razors, various other bits and bobs live in a small chest of drawers in the bathroom.

Vivacia Mon 08-Dec-14 07:34:56

Absolutely not in this house. The only thing that's out is a toilet roll on top of the cistern and hand soap out on the sink. Nothing around the shower/bath or on the window sill.

Artandco Mon 08-Dec-14 07:46:05

Nope, all in a cupboard

We have storage under the sink for general stuff, a small cupboard inside shower for razor/ shampoos, and a small wicker basket for bath toys

HupTwoThreeFour Mon 08-Dec-14 07:50:10

we have nice triple dispensers for shower gel, shampoo and conditioner to keep it looking tidy smile

ClaudiaNaughton Mon 08-Dec-14 07:52:14

I transfer shampoo and conditioner and shower gel to clear pump bottles in the shower as the garish colours clash and offend me! wink Everything else in cupboards.

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 07:53:58

rolls eyes
So you get the stuff out each time you wash then put away

feelingunsupported Mon 08-Dec-14 07:55:12

I even thought about decanting shampoos into nice 'pump' bottles ofsome sort but think that might drive dp mad!

My lovely SIL bought me some posh candles 2 christmases ago and I've saved them to put out when it's properly finished.

I was never really in to the whole 'staged' look but living in clutter must have had an effect!

There's still paint tins, brushes etc and a hop up in there that do my head in - must bribe dp to crack on and finish it! I've had no working shower for 4 years! (Weeps)

WerewolfBarMitzvah Mon 08-Dec-14 07:56:06

Could those who use dispensers perhaps link to theirs?
I can't seem to find one that isn't too B&B-ish.

I have been known to refill the kerastase bottle with cheap stuff when I can't afford a replacement. Oh the shame.

Vivacia Mon 08-Dec-14 08:10:48

Rolls Eyes. So you get the stuff out each time you wash then put away

That's what we do, each of us has a little caddy or washbag that we carry all the way across the landing from our bedroom to the bathroom and back smile

I find an uncluttered bathroom 10 times easier to keep clean and sparkling. (I hate that weird clingy dust you sometimes get in bathrooms).

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 08:12:17

No WAY! You use wash bags at home?
That's quite weird!

december12 Mon 08-Dec-14 08:12:58

OMG. I'm just happy if the lids are on and the empty bottles thrown away. The idea that anyone in this house would put it in the cupboard after every use is just ridiculous

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 08:14:12

But does the stuff not gather heinous dust in your bedroom. And all wet drippy marks?

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 08:14:56

Mumsbet never fails to amaze me

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 08:15:11

Net even. You couldn't bet on this

susiedaisy Mon 08-Dec-14 08:24:05

Flabbergasted at the thought that people get shampoo conditioner shower gel toothbrush and toothpaste out of a cupboard use it presumably dry it off and then put it all away again shockshock. Every single time!

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 08:26:37

Me too.

IvyMay Mon 08-Dec-14 08:32:14

We have a pair of really great mirrored cabinets from ikea that are huge and give loads of storage space. These are hung above a double sink (again from ikea) with deep drawers underneath it too and I absolutely love it.

This really helps us keep only the bare minimum of things out because it's so easy to put away other stuff.

JapaneseMargaret Mon 08-Dec-14 08:34:06

Amazed at the things people seem to hunt out to be weird about. Carrying bathroom stuff in a washbag to one's own bathroom. I've heard it all now.

Artandco Mon 08-Dec-14 09:51:47

It's far easier having it all in cupboards though.
If you have it all out surely it takes longer to clean as have to move everything? And put everything back? Where as if all in cupboards your just putting back 1-2 items each time you use

My ds's manage to spit over half the sink cleaning teeth, I wouldn't want my toothbrush and hand cream spat over if left near taps! And they play in bath so half the cosmetics would be in bath by the end of bathtime

We do have Hand soap out obviously

Mind you, I also keep toaster in kitchen cupboard which not everyone seems to do

Vivacia Mon 08-Dec-14 10:23:25

Perhaps it does make me weird... I know it's definitely a reaction to my childhood, we were brought up pretty neglected. It's funny, but out of all of the rooms that sticks in my memory it's the bathroom that's the worse - it was so cold and dark and dirty (think woodlice and slugs) that I was scared to go in.

I take so much pleasure in a white, sparkly clean bathroom blush

Vivacia Mon 08-Dec-14 10:25:14

Actually, I was been a bit light-hearted earlier, but I feel a bit weepy now. I'll talk to DP and double-check if I'm in the wrong here.

TheBigBumTheory Mon 08-Dec-14 10:30:22

Do the putaway people also keep the toaster in a cupboard?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now