Talk

Advanced search

Silver port glasses

(5 Posts)
elvislives2012 Sun 07-Dec-14 20:44:50

I have these port glasses and they need a clean up. Can I use silvo? Can't find info on the Tinterweb...

CMP69 Sun 07-Dec-14 20:56:59

I have silver plated champagne flutes that I clean with jewellers rouge. They have survived 18 years of infrequent cleaning wink

PigletJohn Mon 08-Dec-14 00:17:21

Goddards Silver Pad (formerly known as Silver Foam) is like a pink soap that you rub on with a wet sponge (supplied). It contains a chemical that breaks down the tarnish. The tarnish comes away in the lather, you rinse it off, then polish with an old vest a soft cotton cloth. You can then wash in warm water and WUL until they get tarnished again. John Lewis have an own-brand which appears to be the same.

With silver plate in particular, you must not use anything abrasive such as toothpaste, as you will rub away the thin layer of silver.

When you are polishing your solid silver, hold it with your thumb on the hallmark so it doesn't get worn.

PigletJohn Mon 08-Dec-14 00:20:33

click the other picture, the foam and the mitts have the wrong titles

elvislives2012 Mon 08-Dec-14 07:18:42

Excellent. Thank u For the info. I shall get some straight away I have enough old vests to last a lifetime smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now