Talk

Advanced search

Child friendly locks for new kitchen?

(15 Posts)
milkyman Sun 07-Dec-14 13:14:49

Can anyone recommend child friendly locks that don't need to be screwed into cupboards/drawers? We are having a gloss cream, integrated kitchen fitted and ideally would rather not screw anything into it yet!

SoupDragon Sun 07-Dec-14 13:18:40

I never had cupboard locks on mine.

GreenShadow Sun 07-Dec-14 13:50:29

None here either and no disasters.

GemmaPuddledDuck Sun 07-Dec-14 13:53:02

These are good if you have handles

www.amazon.co.uk/BabyDan-Cabinet-Door-Lock-Pack/dp/B008BIDA28/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1417960324&sr=8-5&keywords=Cupboard+locks

Viviennemary Sun 07-Dec-14 13:55:30

I don't really agree with locks on kitchen doors. I didn't know anyone who had them.

SoonToBeSix Sun 07-Dec-14 14:32:39

I wouldn't bother , kids shouldn't be on their own in the kitchen anyway. Why would you need locks?

GemmaPuddledDuck Sun 07-Dec-14 17:08:12

Just because you are there with them (I.e. Baking) doesn't mean you want all your cupboards emptied out onto the floor.

18yearstooold Sun 07-Dec-14 17:11:29

So tell them no?

If they are old enough to bake then you can supervise enough to stop them pulling everything out

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Sun 07-Dec-14 17:33:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Sun 07-Dec-14 18:38:46

Just because you are there with them (I.e. Baking) doesn't mean you want all your cupboards emptied out onto the floor.

Supervise them then. All breakable items and dangerous stuff was kept out of reach in my kitchen.

EarSlaps Mon 08-Dec-14 23:45:34

Not everyone has space to put all breakable stuff out of reach- we have hardly any wall cupboards in our kitchen as we have huge windows.

Luckily ds2 doesn't play too much with the cupboards and will mostly listen to 'no' but ds1 was much trickier and managed to smash a huge Pyrex in the five seconds my back was turned putting something away.

Those BabyDan magnetic ones are really good. You can even glue them on, then turn them off when no longer needed.

superram Tue 09-Dec-14 21:34:13

I found I scratched the gloss door 'unlocking' the magnetic one so wouldn't recommend. I have never had locks just encouraged a Tupperware cupboard.

superram Tue 09-Dec-14 21:35:21

No locks dunce the scratching incident. I also have given up my baking spoons to act as drumsticks.

Madcats Wed 10-Dec-14 00:12:25

Stairgate on the kitchen door here

Mitchymatchy Wed 10-Dec-14 15:01:31

we just had basic screw in ones but they all screwed into the inner surfaces so the gloss cream would stay intact!

I used to be in the 'no lock' camp. With DC1 we did a lot of saying no and it was fine. I may have even thought this down to my Superior Parenting Skills. Then DC2 with limited hearing, limited understanding and limited speech and we did things entirely differently. The fact there were 2 of them was part of it - of course you shouldn't leave them unsupervised but there are always occasions when you can't have 100% control of them both at all times. You think you have it sussed and then one soils themself while the other is covered in jam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now