Talk

Advanced search

How to use my dehumidifier

(6 Posts)
Lagoonablue Thu 04-Dec-14 10:06:56

Someone just gave is one. Our house is not that damp but gets condensation on windows and a bit of black mould in the bathroom.

I also dry washing in the house sometimes. Question is, do I put the device in a room with all doors and windows open or closed? Also how can I make it help my washing to dry.

Stupid questions I know....

wowfudge Thu 04-Dec-14 12:12:09

Windows and doors closed otherwise it will be attempting to suck moisture out of your whole house.

For drying washing, put in on in the room the damp washing is in. Do you have an extractor fan in the bathroom? A lot of advice I have read on MN is to shut the washing in the bathroom with the extractor on. More economical than a dehumidifier.

Personally I would buy a tumble dryer and use it for drying washing. I cannot stand the Widow Twanky's laundry effect of drying washing around the house. Plus it's bad for the house and your health (condensation, damp, mould, perfect breeding conditions for dust mites).

Lagoonablue Thu 04-Dec-14 13:37:04

Thanks. No extractor in bathroom. I have a tumble drier but I only dry underwear, towels and kids stuff in it. I am scared it shrinks my clothes so it is mine that are draped on a clothes horse mainly!

wowfudge Thu 04-Dec-14 13:59:01

Lagoona - I only buy stuff that says it can be tumble dried. Life is too short. For the odd item I have that can't be, I hang it up in the utility room to dry. Plus tumble drying has the added bonus of minimising ironing. Worth it!!

TeWiSavesTheDay Thu 04-Dec-14 14:01:22

Lurking.

Do you really have to close the doors? I want to use one in the conservatory but the cats need to be able to get in and out.

TheDoctorSandshoesAndGrandad Thu 04-Dec-14 14:04:29

You don't have to close the doors, but it certainly seems to make the drying of clothes faster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now