Talk

Advanced search

Oven troubles.....

(7 Posts)
doradoo Mon 01-Dec-14 17:08:05

Any guesses as to what might be wrong - and how I can fix it easily, quickly and cheaply

I have a freestanding smeg cooker and this morning the oven would not heat up on the fan setting. Fan comes one, thermostat light on the front comes on - but it blows cold air I left it cooking DS2s roll for far too long before noticing this morning that nothing was happening and he had a parbaked roll for lunch oops

It works fine on the conventional setting - heats up to temperature.

Model seems to be Opera 90cm - A1DNA-6 if that helps.

ThreeQuartersEmpty Mon 01-Dec-14 17:38:52

Faulty element? I'd get someone out to it though, I'd not attempt that myself.

doradoo Mon 01-Dec-14 19:46:02

Would a faulty element only affect the fan setting - not the conventional setting?

Out of my depth here as you can probably tell

ThreeQuartersEmpty Mon 01-Dec-14 21:33:06

Wild guess to be honest grin
Replacing the bulb is the limit of my oven diy activities. But I've heard of faulty elements as A Bad Thing. Its the only other thing I've ever heard of to go wrong with an oven.

doradoo Tue 02-Dec-14 10:52:11

hmmm - thanks for your replies!

Willl have to get a pro in I think.

nothingwittyhere Tue 02-Dec-14 12:47:36

It may have two heating elements and the one that works with the fan is broken while the other one isn't. Don't think you can avoid a call-out though.

PigletJohn Sat 06-Dec-14 00:33:45

very likely the heating element. They don't last very long and are a replaceable service part (like tyres on your car).

A competent handywoman can change it, after isolating the power supply you will have to unscrew enough of the oven lining to take (usually) the inside back panel off, and you will see a probably round element coiled round the fan. It plugs in.

Or an appliance mender can do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now