Talk

Advanced search

Foul-Smelling shower cubicle plug hole

(12 Posts)
JandLandG Sun 30-Nov-14 21:43:57

Not sure if this is the correct section for this one but I wonder if MNers could help us out please.

Each morning we're waking up to a right ol smell coming up from the plug hole in the shower cubicle in our main bathroom .

It's seems to lessen during the day so obviously running water somewhere deals with it temporarily, but what's the permanent solution.

We've bunged all sorts down there, but it's not been solved these past weeks

Any thoughts or recommendations for getting rid of this?

It's horrible...I dunno, maybe somethings died deep down in the pipe or something (shudder), so what will kill the smells/shift the thing permanently?

Thanking you!

gamerchick Sun 30-Nov-14 21:45:25

Ask people not to pee in the shower?

SirChenjin Sun 30-Nov-14 21:50:59

Does this link help at all? https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090611104831AATOIzU

18yearstooold Sun 30-Nov-14 21:56:28

Mine has got a ring trap (in theory to stop things going down the drain, like rings) fills up with hair but doesn't stop it draining as its below the outlet

It can smell so I either remove the whole trap and give it a good wash or occasionally put some hair removal cream down -does the trick

hissingcat Mon 01-Dec-14 11:15:43

soda crystals are good for clearing and cleaning drains. flush down with boiling water.
there's a product called Buster drain freshner which I use after the soda crystals but supermarkets seem to have stopped stocking it and it's only available online

hissingcat Mon 01-Dec-14 11:17:34

buster plughole sanitiser
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FWP2BNW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_33eFub05TN8Y8

hissingcat Mon 01-Dec-14 11:18:07

Sorry
[[ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FWP2BNW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_33eFub05TN8Y8]]

hissingcat Mon 01-Dec-14 11:18:53

ok I can't post links but it's on amazon grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 01-Dec-14 16:45:01

We just use Mr Muscle drain and plug cleaner, we get it in the 99p shop and bung it down over night every couple of months.

LornaGoon Mon 01-Dec-14 16:52:02

We sometimes get this and I use the steam cleaner and hold it over the plug hole. I've also done it on the kitchen sink plug hole and overflow.

If the blockage, or build of gunk, is further down the pipes try what pp said about soda crystals.

I'm sure I've read on here people using Imac hair remover creams down the plug hole as it will dissolve any hair that's down there.

JandLandG Mon 08-Dec-14 10:32:17

Apologies, have not thanked you for these...have tried with some success...still not totally cured but thanks for the advice; very much appreciated

idlevice Wed 10-Dec-14 21:43:07

Does the plughole have a little well? If so this should remain filled up with water to absorb odour. I had this problem & called out a plumber, only to be told the above as if I clearly should have known. I did post it about on here before & it solved another poster's similar problem so hopefully it may work for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now