Talk

Advanced search

Is my steam cleaner working properly?

(6 Posts)
fatsatsuma Sat 29-Nov-14 11:40:36

I've recently switched from washing my laminate floors by hand to using a cheap steam cleaner. I don't like using a mop as it never seems to get the floor thoroughly clean whereas getting down on hands and knees is effective but hard work!
Anyway, having used the steam cleaner I was curious to see how clean the floor really was so I ran a dry white cloth over it. It came up grey and filthy looking hmm
Am I somehow using the steam cleaner wrong? I'm running it over the same section a few times then moving on. The floor looks clean but clearly isn't. Is it a problem with the cleaner (was cheap but seems to be a pretty standard design)?
Any advice gratefully received.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 29-Nov-14 20:20:30

I had two and sent them both back, they just made everything wet and steamy.

LIZS Sat 29-Nov-14 20:23:52

Are you sweeping first ?

ChishandFips33 Sat 29-Nov-14 23:51:33

I think the trick with the steam cleaners is to go slowly over each bit to give the steam time to loosen the muck. I started using mine like I would mop and apart from bring knackered because it's heavier it was completely rubbish!
Watched a few YouTube vids and the difference was clear. It also took time to get on top of it (slate tiles, long since sealed and suck up the dirt!)

ChishandFips33 Sat 29-Nov-14 23:52:43

Sorry! Just noticed you have laminate not tiles; be careful the steam doesn't lift the laminate

fatsatsuma Sun 30-Nov-14 20:54:02

Thanks for replies. Yes, hoovering thoroughly first so no loose dirt left. Will have a look on YouTube for technique tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now