Talk

Advanced search

Professional leather sofa cleaning

(13 Posts)
reup Sat 29-Nov-14 09:22:45

I'm sure I've asked this before but no one replied. Has anyone had this done? How much was it?

I'm fed up with buying different products and them not being great. I've tried baby wipes, leather wipes, Sheraton(?) mousse, lakeland leather kit, IKEA leather kit, saddle soap, brillo pads and couple of leathet revivers too! They are all backbreaking (I have 3 sofas).

Ideally if professional cleaning is too pricey I want something I can just lazilly spray and wipe.

Thanks

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 29-Nov-14 20:22:51

Blimey, how dirty are your sofas?!

I use a Tesco leather spray and wipe with a soft cloth, there's no need to have sofas as clean as whistles it's not like you are eating your dinner off them. grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 29-Nov-14 20:23:37

Brillo pads on leather???shock

reup Sat 29-Nov-14 22:02:51

The look OK to others but its when I've turned the seats over and seen how bright the original colour is.

I was desperate with the brillo pads as the other stuff made the cloth/sponge dirty but didn't seem to get the darker marks out of the grain. Its worse when you actually clean them as you can see the difference in the spot you are working on.

I have got a quote for £25 a sofa so I might try that.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 29-Nov-14 23:50:17

Sofas do change colour and fade over the years just as a pair of leather shoes would wear in.

wowfudge Sun 30-Nov-14 06:58:29

It does sound as though you have been over zealous with the sofa cleaning. Leather needs nourishing rather than scrubbing with a Brillo pad confused.

I suspect the 'dirt' which is coming off is actually some of the dye.

reup Sun 30-Nov-14 09:31:21

No its dirt! There's quite a grain in the sofa and the dirt gets in that big so its darker overall! I have used a polish/food thing too so its in good condition.

reup Sun 30-Nov-14 09:32:46

I meant that bit not big! Haver just had a new sprasy delivered which seems better, but its so exhausting!

reup Sun 30-Nov-14 09:38:38

Photo doesn't really show what I mean. Every few months I get a bit obsessed with it then give up!

reup Sun 30-Nov-14 09:39:27

Ha ha, it looks like flesh!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 30-Nov-14 09:59:36

I expect where you have used abrasive stuff like brill pads it has caused surface marks and the dirt gets trapped in them.

We have a 25 year old Chesterfield, I just use a damp cloth and recently this tesco leather spray, I don't give it a second thought tbh, you only plonk your bum down on itgrin

Buttercup27 Sun 30-Nov-14 10:00:50

I use saddle soap on mine and it brings them up brilliantly!

reup Sun 30-Nov-14 15:59:08

No the marks were there long before the brillo pad was used. I have another sofa that I didn't used them on and its the same - the grime gets stuck in the grain. The new spray is better but I might get them professionally done too. Yes I used saddle soap too and it was OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now