Talk

Advanced search

Shower trap smells

(17 Posts)
Icelollycraving Sat 29-Nov-14 07:03:36

The shower in my ensuite gets used everyday. The whole trap/pluggy thing gets scrubbed at least weekly. I scrub it out with cif,then bleach,run lots of water through. There are no blockages,water drains away easily. It still smells. It was better when I've used zaflora but I think that was purely masking it & it smelt v strong next to a bedroom.
It is a new build where we've been for a year. Has anyone got any experience or bright ideas?

Bunbaker Sat 29-Nov-14 07:09:17

We have this problem as well. I had to buy something to cover the plug hole to prevent the bathroom from smelling.

surroundedbyblondes Sat 29-Nov-14 07:12:56

Have you tried using drain unblocker to shift any yukky gunky stuff further down where you can't clean?

surroundedbyblondes Sat 29-Nov-14 07:15:10

I know you said it wasn't blocked but hair and soap slime etc can build up gradually and be pretty gross

Bunbaker Sat 29-Nov-14 07:18:12

Yes. drain unblocked makes no difference.

Furball Sat 29-Nov-14 07:26:08

We had this - googled old MN threads and they said put a tube of immac down the plughole and leave as long as possible.

yes it works - problem solved smile

Icelollycraving Sat 29-Nov-14 07:26:10

I've used bleach,washing up liquid,toilet cleaner,zaflora,bicarb. All seem fine when done,it's about 6-8 hours after use it smells.

Icelollycraving Sat 29-Nov-14 07:29:24

I've tried that too but maybe didn't leave long enough.

Icelollycraving Sat 29-Nov-14 07:35:02

Ok,with the veet stuff,if I squeeze it down,it will be in the bit that is clean & clear. If I want it to go furthur down the pipe,how do I do it?!

Furball Sat 29-Nov-14 07:45:54

mine plopped down into the water

mdpis3 Sat 29-Nov-14 07:57:03

It'll be because the trap hasn't been fitted properly or the return on the pipe is at the wrong angle, meaning that the water that is meant to sit and stop any vapours from coming out of the plug hole, can't sit there. Think of the water in the trap as like a vat. If water, no smell. If no water, then smell. It's notorious in new builds and can happen in older properties too. Short of continually using veet/soda crystals/drain unblocker there isn't much you can do as they actually just mask the smell as it's not due to a blockage if you've done all of the above. My best advice is to find a plug that fits the shower hole, removing the hair catching part if necessary and after each shower, plug it. Failing that, add it to the snag list and call the developers back in.

Lovetheleaves Sat 29-Nov-14 08:04:40

Mdpis thank you for this . I spend a couple of hours recently trying to work out why there was water in the trap. Got dh to open up pipes and check drains. Found water flowed freely ( this was after I had cleared a pile of slime and used drain unblocked) good to know water meant to sit there. The water was clean so I gave up and forgot about it.

Icelollycraving Sat 29-Nov-14 08:25:23

The trap pipe thing (oh so technical) is horizontal.

Bunbaker Sat 29-Nov-14 13:44:36

I have these in our showers and they do stop the smells.

Icelollycraving Sat 29-Nov-14 19:45:36

How can I describe it,when the cover is off,there is a cup,when that's removed the water goes out of a horizontal pipe. That looks clean.

hissingcat Sat 29-Nov-14 21:30:42

What about trying soda crystals flushed away with boiling water?

somewheresomehow Tue 02-Dec-14 16:13:36

There should be a 'U' bend under the shower which traps water to stop the smell coming up from the drains.
www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/howwastetrapswork.htm
I get a plunger on ours and the smell from the water that comes up is enough to make you puke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now