Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for durable pans please!

(24 Posts)
robindeer Fri 28-Nov-14 22:20:25

I'm having to throw away my entire set of lovely non-stick Judge saucepans as the surface has begun to deteriorate. I promise I don't use metal utensils or anything else too scratchy! To add to my disappointment I now also have to throw out one of my few plain aluminium/stainless steel pans as I boiled it dry last night with the baby's dummies in and absolutely destroyed it...

Please could I have your recommendations for the best saucepans? I'm not fussed on non-stick but have considered ceramic (still unconvinced), stainless steel/aluminium or enamel. I'm looking for a long term investment here, the set I'm throwing away is only around 5-6yrs old.

Thanks in advance!

SoMuchForSubtlety Fri 28-Nov-14 22:21:43

I'm joining to watch. I'm not convinced this is possible but I'm willing to be convinced!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 28-Nov-14 22:35:51

All my pans are Stellar, they are amazing and you can burn them and they still come up like new every time. I have one tesco non stick one for frying eggs.

mipmop Fri 28-Nov-14 22:50:40

I'm watching too.
I just found out that the non-stick coating on pans is toxic at high temperatures and when the surface is scratched, so it's time for me to replace them.

nowwearefour Fri 28-Nov-14 23:00:29

Fissler. Expensive but will last a lifetime

robindeer Fri 28-Nov-14 23:16:02

Oh hell mipmop! I wish I'd thrown them out ages ago now!

I'm currently researching stellar and fiddler. Is there such a thing as a non-stick sauté pan?

robindeer Fri 28-Nov-14 23:16:40

Ha! Autocorrect...

mipmop Fri 28-Nov-14 23:22:40

Here's some info about the non-stick safety issues.
www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/cooking-tools/cookware-reviews/nonstick-cookware-safety-facts

Robindeer apparently everyone else knew about this years ago. shock grin

SoMuchForSubtlety Fri 28-Nov-14 23:23:23

Black Friday sales and cookware recommendations are not a good combo, I found a silly price deal on stellar and may just have spent nearly £180 on pots. blush I did get 8 for that though... <hastily justifies> £750 rrp though...

PlantsAndFlowers Fri 28-Nov-14 23:31:54

Demeyere.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 28-Nov-14 23:36:10

I think ours were 120 for a big set of stellar - 3 pans, frying pan, stock pot, gravy jug and big casserole type saucepan, that was 7 years ago though so that sounds about right.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 28-Nov-14 23:42:23

I can vouch for Aga pans - have had ours for about 7 years and now that we've moved house they work on the induction hob. You can put them in the oven to use as casserole dishes as well - any temperature.
No annoying long handles, and they stack as well.
Expensive but I can't see anything going wrong with them so they'll never need replacing.

SoMuchForSubtlety Fri 28-Nov-14 23:43:00

DH is suggesting we don't need so many. You can't have too many pots though, right?

Artistic Sat 29-Nov-14 00:43:07

The ready steady range is excellent, used it for many years & they still look new! They are fully stainless still with glass lids. I don't have non stick ones as am paranoid about the health issued (am also worried about eating at other people's houses and restaurants as they may be using non stick...but that's a separate discussion!).

Amazon do a package by ready steady which covers all the pans you'd need for daily use.

robindeer Sat 29-Nov-14 12:53:34

Getting increasingly concerned about this non-stick issue!

DP suggesting these www.amazon.co.uk/ProCook-Professional-Steel-Cookware-Piece/dp/B00BMHS6CO/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1417259578&sr=1-1&keywords=procook+pan+set+10+piece but I've never heard of the brand. Anyone?

Will look at Aga and Ready Steady too.

Viviennemary Sat 29-Nov-14 13:03:24

Quite a few of my pans need to be replaced but I've not got round to it yet. One seemed quite sturdy and hardwearing so I looked closer and amazingly it's a Tesco's one.

PigletJohn Sat 29-Nov-14 17:47:33

I honestly think that a non-stick pan will not last a lifetime. Even expensive ones lose the surface in time. But apart from frying pans, you don't need it. Brushed stainless pans will cook veggies, stand up to a lot, and do not show marks.

I am currently using Fissler fryers, via a coupon offer, but would not pay list price. I have made the mistake of buying expensive non-stick before.

Stainless fryers will stick, and you can't do anything about it.

Cast iron enamelled is very heavy.

Behoove Sat 29-Nov-14 17:51:30

I've got a mixture of circulon and viners hard anodised. Don't know what that means but they are excellent.

CMP69 Sat 29-Nov-14 17:57:14

Mine are Analon anodised pans. Nearly 14 years old and going strong smile

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Sat 29-Nov-14 18:01:20

I have some John Lewis (jonelle?) stainless Steel pans that must be over 15 years old possibly nearer 20 I think they were about £60 for a set of 3 so not sure what they would cost now but they are still going strong.

CQ Sat 29-Nov-14 18:07:39

Another vote for John Lewis stainless steel pans here. I've got one that's older than DS and he's 16 next month. I have added to the collection over the years and I'm not even sure which is the original one as they don't seem to fade or wear at all.

I have burned hideous things onto them, left one to boil dry once over night and every time they scrub up as good as new.

They work on all hobs including Aga and induction hobs.

I now have 3 saucepans, the deep lidded sauté pan (non-stick lined) and the huge two-handled saucepan/casserole. All great.

DramaAlpaca Sat 29-Nov-14 18:18:36

I got a set of stainless steel pans from M&S about 20 years ago. They have been used every day & they are still going strong. They were quite expensive at the time, but worth the investment.

I agree that you can't expect non-stick pans to last a lifetime. I have a couple of non-stick pans I use for things like porridge & scrambled eggs. I buy cheapies and replace them when they start to lose their coating.

BeCool Mon 01-Dec-14 15:57:36

I have some fab stainless steel pots with glass lids I brought on sale very cheap at Tesco years ago. 10 years old now and they still look great & are great to cook with.

Aren't the post Xmas sales good for housewares?

nowwearefour Mon 01-Dec-14 16:57:43

<waves to piglet john> as I have never found another Fissler user before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now