Talk

Advanced search

Where do you put all your stuff...

(8 Posts)
mortil2 Fri 28-Nov-14 17:23:50

Hi there, I am a new MN'er. Please be gentle with me.

I am not sure if there is already a thread on this topic. So apologies if there is.

My house seems always to be cluttered with stuff. Piles of paper, letters, school correspondence, to-do lists, sopping lists, home work, phone chargers, you name it. The house can sometimes look nice , but it doesn't last long!
There are four of us: me, DH, DS1 and DS2 (oh, and a dog).
Coming up to christmas I am dreading the increase of stuff entering the house. My MIL insists of buying lots of (crap and useless) little presents for everyone. None of the in any way of any use or indeed fun. These will just add to the already far too many things that will never be used.

I have this dream of living in a space where all my favourite things are around me but no clutter and where I am not always trying to put things onto already existing piles

Please pass on ny advise you have or indeed book that may help me get on top of this. Its driving me mad

summerlovingliz Fri 28-Nov-14 17:32:55

My house is exactly the same! Apparently the answer is for everything to have its place! I try but fail coz there is not enough space for every thing to have its place.. Tip two is to be ruthless in getting rid of things.. Something else I'm not v good atgrin

larryphilanddave Fri 28-Nov-14 17:45:16

If you have some time, have a look at the Marie Kondo thread and the Minimalism threads - there are links throughout the threads, as well as tips, advice and encouragement. Marie Kondo has a book, but you can also find things from her and other minimalist writings online - it can be very useful and motivating in starting to work out how to get organised, getting rid of useless things, only having things you need or love, etc.

From my personal experience, I recommend looking at anything stored that doesn't get used much/at all (in cupboards, drawers, sheds, wherever) and making a quick analysis - if you don't use it, do you love it? Or just nervous about "what if..."? If you don't love it (ie not precious, hugely sentimental, beautiful) then it goes immediately.

Don't think about the value of things or guilt, like "it cost £50" or "friend A got it for me". The money is gone already. Friend A won't know, you haven't even been using it anyway.

I like to work in zones - I sorted out my bathroom,first, because it was easy and having one finished space spurred me on. However some people like to do categories, like all books, or clothes, and so on.

Don't let it get you down, as being deflated won't change anything. But do enjoy each time you make a difference, big or small, and that will make it all easier.

Avoid buying things just for the sake of it, let it be for real utility or love.

You can try talking to relatives about what they buy you and DC, I know plenty of people on the Minimalism thread have made headway in avoiding an onslaught of tat! But I don't have this issue so much so I'm less experienced grin

I'm on my phone so apologies for this being waffly and potentially incoherent smile

Oh, and go for it! After a very slow and steady, on and off, process, we actually have a home that is functional, fairly clutter free, easy to manage and nice to live in. I avoided the talk of Minimalism for a while because I thought it was all white boxes and no TV, but turns out it's much simpler than that!

mortil2 Fri 28-Nov-14 17:47:58

Summer, I am the same as you in that I haven't got space for everything to have its own convenient place. We have things in the (full) that we moved from our old house attic into this house 3 years ago. Its is full of old records, asset tapes, childrens old school homework etc etc. If the whole thing was somehow lost we would not miss a single thing. I have a friend who had a whole lot stored in a storage place somewhere in the States. The building caught fire and every thing was lost. She says it was the biggest sense of relief to not have this cluttering up her mind.

I do at times have a claret but have to do it in secret while no-one is home. But funnily enough, nobody notices missing items

feelingunsupported Fri 28-Nov-14 18:01:57

Don't think about the value of things or guilt, like "it cost £50" or "friend A got it for me". The money is gone already. Friend A won't know, you haven't even been using it anyway

^^this is exactly what I'm using in my head to get rid of stuff.

mortil2 Fri 28-Nov-14 18:12:26

Thanks for the advise. Think the guilt thing is a big issue, I will definitely use that hint. And you are right, no one will know (he he)

HocusUcas Fri 28-Nov-14 20:46:58

I do at times have a claret but have to do it in secret while no-one is home.

I assume that is autocorrect for clear out - but good for you if not !

Another one to say I went from a huge house to a tiny house. It took me a while to get into the swing of getting rid of stuff. Once I did as pp says it is such a relief.
I can honestly say that nothing I have got rid of loses me a night's sleep and the ease and joy of living with less random stuff and more just things we want is enormous.

LexieSinclair Fri 28-Nov-14 21:07:12

Place marking for motivation and inspiration!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now