Talk

Advanced search

Mould on a curtain

(8 Posts)
ChampagneTastes Tue 25-Nov-14 16:23:41

I'm a bit scared to post this as I'm going to out myself as dangerously slovenly but here goes... We had a big mould patch in our bedroom for (ahem) a little while. I have finally gotten around to tackling it with various potions and it has gone. Unfortunately the mould is also on the curtain next to the wall. I LOVE my curtains - they cost a bloody fortune - so how can I remove the mould without damaging them? DH suggests dry-cleaning; is that wise?

mkmjimmy Tue 25-Nov-14 16:39:25

Have the same problem. Someone on here suggested Dettol Mould Remover spray (I think) haven't tried it yet.

Also - how did you get the mould off the wall? We use bleachy water.

Trying to solve the problem of the condensation causing the mould - we leave the windows open to air in the day and heat the room more.

BuzzardBird Tue 25-Nov-14 16:42:25

I would be careful with the Dettol Mould Remover as it contains bleach. I would go with either white vinegar or K2r Stain removing spray which I have used safely on silk curtains.

ChampagneTastes Tue 25-Nov-14 16:44:15

I used Polycell 3 in 1 Mould Killer for the walls. You paint it on then wipe it off with a cloth. I then sanded it down and reapplied. I need to repaint as (a) I sanded off half the paint and (b) there are still black marks left from the mould.

I've got some Dettol stuff but won't it stain the fabric?

ChampagneTastes Tue 25-Nov-14 16:45:39

Crossposted with Buzzard - thanks for the tip. I'll try the vinegar first, how did you apply it? Do you soak or sponge?

BuzzardBird Tue 25-Nov-14 17:05:38

Could you dilute some into a spray bottle with a bit of water first and spray it on in case your curtains water mark?
If you think they will watermark I would go for the K2r spray which leaves no mark. You spray it on and it dries to a powder which I left on overnight and brushed off the next day.

happyyonisleepyyoni Tue 25-Nov-14 18:10:57

Not the best time of year but hanging them outside in bright sunlight would combine well with other treatments. We had deckchairs that went very mildewy but sunlight helped get rid of it

waithorse Mon 05-Jan-15 17:41:28

Would the vinegar stain the curtains ? We have some spots of mould on the lining of a pair of curtains. Do you just wipe it on ? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now