Talk

Advanced search

Getting sweat smell out of a coat. Help!

(14 Posts)
lorneylou Mon 24-Nov-14 19:06:58

I have just bought myself a lovely new winter coat, it's the most I've ever spent on a coat, it's lovely and I've dumped my old one!

I wore it a few nights ago and it was a lot warmer than I thought, I was pouring with sweat! I have a problem with sweat under my arms anyway so the next day armpits of the coat were absolutely stinking!! (and still are!)

It is washable at 30 degrees but I know this won't clear the smell and I am currently coat-less sad

Can anyone help? I have tried bicarb but it hasn't helped.

I need something heavy duty as I have struggled with this problem for a few years and have thrown out lots of tops that I just couldn't get clean

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 24-Nov-14 19:15:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RyanAirVeteran Mon 24-Nov-14 19:16:59

Bicarb.

Gatekeeper Mon 24-Nov-14 19:40:52

What is the coat made of and is it lined?

Moniker1 Mon 24-Nov-14 19:43:59

Turn it inside out and maybe try leaving it in sunlight (though not an ideal time of year for that)

lorneylou Mon 24-Nov-14 19:47:27

This is it

www.marksandspencer.com/adjustable-waist-wadded-and-belted-coat-with-stormwear/p/p60059456

Hope my link worked! It is lined, I think the smell is only in the lining, hasn't gone right through.

Have tried bicarb and febreeze but neither have worked, haven't tried vinegar. Do I just rub it into the areas and then wash normally?
I'm a bit worried about it staining.

HarlotOTara Mon 24-Nov-14 19:48:50

Try something like anti-bacterial spray - the colourless stuff. Spray on the lining under the armpits and rub it in, turn the coat inside out and leave to dry. It worked for me

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 24-Nov-14 20:17:45

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 24-Nov-14 20:18:35

Daydreamersea Mon 24-Nov-14 21:12:35

Can you get it dry cleaned, they should know what to do. And they'll re spray it with water proof stuff if need be.

lorneylou Mon 24-Nov-14 21:25:13

Thank you all, will nip out tomorrow and get some vinegar and clear anti-bac, hopefully one or the other will work. Would love to get it dry cleaned but just can't afford it at the moment.

Ohhelpohnoitsa - It's lovely on, didn't look like much in the shop but the belt gives it a gorgeous shape....now just to get it smelling nice too sad

Gatekeeper Tue 25-Nov-14 08:26:24

I would very carefully spray a solution (or sponge it on) of distilled vinegar, bicarb with a dash of lavender oil (if you have it). This is my weapon against whiffs in this house. If you were worried about staining then I would unpick the lining at some point so that you could put something between the coat and the lining to separate them. Also you could also get some washable dress shields and tack them in place so you can easily remove to wash them

lorneylou Tue 25-Nov-14 19:25:13

So....managed to get out today and grab some vinegar. Spayed the armpits of the coat with 50/50 vinegar and water and hung up to dry. I sprayed it as much as I could without it soaking right through the lining incase it damaged the coat.
It smelt sooooo strongly of vinegar and there was still a whiff of sweat so then I sprayed with antibac and let that dry.
Put it in the wash with bio liquid and just took it out, from what I can tell it smell lovely!!! smile
So, it's in the dryer and fingers crossed, all smells are gone!

(Tried the vinegar solution on some t-shirts too and put them through the wash after, they are much improved but maybe need another go.)

Thank you all so much for your help!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 25-Nov-14 19:56:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now