Talk

Advanced search

How can I get the musty smell out of an old wooden trunk/chest???

(9 Posts)
Lurkingintheshadows Mon 24-Nov-14 10:45:17

Hello, long time lurker first time poster smile

I recently bought an old wooden chest to go at the bottom of our bed, to be filled up with sheets/blankets etc. It was a bargain and couldn't be missed.

At first it truly honked but after taking off the base, which was damp, the smell doesn't fill the room any more but it is still inside. I have had an onion in there for the past week, which has helped a little but alas no cure.

Does anyone else have a trick for this problem? I really don't want to give up as it will be able to hold so much stuff and we are living in a small 2 bed house with another lo on the way so storage is v v important.

Please give me a wonder cure?

Lurkingintheshadows Mon 24-Nov-14 11:41:46

Anyone??

Gatekeeper Mon 24-Nov-14 11:44:15

Sprinkle a load of bicarb in there overnight before hoovering it out, then add a couple of dabs of lavender oil. Cedar wood balls are also very good at combatting the 'must'

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Nov-14 11:44:54

Bicarb and then hoover up?
Tumble dryer sheets somewhere warm?

Lurkingintheshadows Mon 24-Nov-14 11:45:50

Will give that a go. Am googling cedar wood balls! Have you done this before?

Gatekeeper Mon 24-Nov-14 11:48:18

Yes; bought a wooden cupboard to store towels in and whatnot and it honked of fust, damp and woodbine!!!

SweetsForMySweet Mon 24-Nov-14 11:51:19

Teatree oil is a good disinfectant, put a few drops in water and wipe the chest down.
Bleach is good to kill off mould but might not be good for the wood
Put a bowl of baking soda inside (good to absorb smells)

EarSlaps Mon 24-Nov-14 13:55:16

Spray vinegar and tea tree? Both kill mildew and should help get rid of the smell.

EthelCardew Wed 26-Nov-14 10:41:05

I've never done this personally but what about using Zoflora in a spray bottle. It will disinfect and make it smell lovely. bows down to the mighty Zoflora

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now