Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a dehumidifier?

(24 Posts)
Olaffles Mon 24-Nov-14 10:30:49

Older house and now it's colder the windows are dripping, especially when radiators are on and with showers etc.
Would I need one upstairs on landing for example and one downstairs also (3 bed semi). Any advice please...

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 24-Nov-14 10:31:50

Watching because I've been thinking the same thing recently.

CMOTDibbler Mon 24-Nov-14 10:34:14

I have a Mitsubishi - it was pricey, but still going strong after 8 years. Its powerful enough that as long as you leave the doors open you could just run it in the hall and it will dry the whole house

Hoggle246 Mon 24-Nov-14 10:34:38

We have a delonghi (sp?) one and it's very good. Can't remember the model, sorry, but got it from Amazon and bought based on good reviews I seem to remember. We had it on overnight in an old, very smell, flat when drying washing and wasn't too noisy.

Hoggle246 Mon 24-Nov-14 10:35:37

Small flat not smell flat! That's a different issue entirely...

inconceivableme Mon 24-Nov-14 12:35:55

We got one from Argos about 6 years ago.
Can't remember brand but it cost about £80. Worked a treat in our old, single-glazed flat.
Just a thought - if you'll want to move it from room to room, look for one with castors as they're very heavy otherwise.

Ilikepie Mon 24-Nov-14 12:39:32

Ebac 2850, I love it. I empty a litre or two of water out of it every day as it's essentially drying our laundry as well as keeping the damp down. not cheap, but good.

ShinySilver Mon 24-Nov-14 12:39:50

We recently bought a Meaco dd8l junior for our 3 bed house. It is great, so much more efficient than our old one from B+Q.
It is also light enough to carry up and downstairs easily. If I put it in a room with wet washing and close the door the washing will be dry in a 4-5 hours which is just fab.

MadMonkeys Tue 25-Nov-14 09:58:08

I'm looking into dehumidifiers too, but DH is convinced they are too noisy. Those who have one - is it a quiet hum, or very noisy?

CMOTDibbler Tue 25-Nov-14 10:01:00

Ours makes no more noise than an average fan

Hoggle246 Tue 25-Nov-14 10:34:24

Likewise here, just an unobtrusive hum

Olaffles Tue 25-Nov-14 17:01:54

I've been looking too - do most of you empty the drawer (like a condenser tumble dryer) to empty it? As I see some come with a drainage kit but I wouldn't really be able to rig that up. I don't know what capacity I'd need either? It's a bit expensive for trial and error!

CMOTDibbler Tue 25-Nov-14 17:48:47

Yes, ours could be piped, but it wouldn't be convenient. It has a large capacity container, so doesn't need frequent emptying

Hoggle246 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:12:41

Yes we emptied the water compartment after it had been on overnight. Think it was a couple of litre capacity which filled each night, though we only used it when drying clothes so there was a lot of water in the air. Ours was a smaller model so probably filled up quicker than the standard sizes.

Olaffles Tue 25-Nov-14 19:40:58

So, I need one that is quiet at night, couple of litres capacity.

I notice there are "desiccant" or "compressor" - is there a huge difference in how they operate? I need recommendation of models here good people!!

Olaffles Tue 25-Nov-14 19:42:03

Noticed Mitsubishi and Delonghi have been mentioned - will trawl amazon!

Hoggle246 Wed 26-Nov-14 06:42:43

Here's the one we have www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-148110002-DEM10-Compact-Dehumidifier/dp/B000BP81DW/ref=br_lf_m_1000329113_1_1_img?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=kitchen&pf_rd_p=471302253&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000329113&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1A6G8AET2TW1EW9786SJ

ShinySilver Wed 26-Nov-14 09:20:42

Mine is a Meaco one mentioned upthread. I empty the drawer a couple of times a day. We sleep with ours on the landing so it is fairly quiet. It is a dessicant model and definitely sucks more water out than our old compressor model ( although maybe just because it's newer - who knows?)
Ours also has several settings as to what level of humidity you are aiming for and switches off when it reaches the desired level. And it has two fan speed settings, one quieter than the other.

AgentAlice Wed 26-Nov-14 20:40:10

Ebac are good, they currently have a free 5 year warranty. I have had one for a couple of years, its made a big difference here.

BabCNesbitt Wed 26-Nov-14 23:43:33

I got a reconditioned DeLonghi DEM10 from eBay a couple of months ago, and it's been a life-saver - we rent a very damp old house and laundry was taking days and days to dry, even when it was hot in summer. We're pouring out over a litre a day! The running costs are a bit steep, but what can you do.

BabCNesbitt Wed 26-Nov-14 23:43:52

Should add, it cost about £50.

upandawayy Wed 26-Nov-14 23:52:34

I also have the Meaco dd8l. It's really good. Just sounds like a fan going round. If it's on upstairs I can't hear it downstairs. Fills the drawer about once a day which I empty and it turns itself off when it's full too. Clothes dry quicker and it's one of the most economical ones around, according to Which?

The air just feels better since getting it and the windows clear of moisture really quickly.

Olaffles Thu 27-Nov-14 10:34:32

Brilliant, thanks for the makes and models to check out. Will compare them all and see which fits the bill. That should be a cute for my insomnia, ha!!

MadMonkeys Thu 04-Dec-14 14:08:15

Well we got an Ebac the other day and it is extracting a couple of litres every day. I'm not sure it is on top of the problem yet - running constantly during the day, and there is still condensation on the windows in the mornings - but I imagine it will take a while as our house has four bedrooms and little ones who keep shutting the doors and therefore stopping the air from circulating properly. We had it in the hall downstairs for the first couple of days, but now we have moved it upstairs as the upstairs windows are generally the worst.

And it isn't obtrusively noisy. Like someone said up the thread, its like a slightly noisier fridge. It is on the landing outside out bedroom and it doesn't bother us at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now