Talk

Advanced search

Post builders clean, any tips?

(5 Posts)
Eastwickwitch Sun 23-Nov-14 20:47:51

There is dust some of it 50 years old everywhere.
I've hoovered (with the builders industrial one) and damp dusted every available surface but there's still a film of grubbiness.
Any hot tips?

wowfudge Sun 23-Nov-14 23:21:58

I think you just have to repeat what you've been doing until there is no more of the dust to settle. It can take a while.

PigletJohn Mon 24-Nov-14 01:40:50

builders vacs do not have such a fine filter as modern domestic ones. Plaster dust is especially pernicious. Does the one you use have a cartridge filter? Is it hired or bought?

Dust will fall out of curtains, and off lamp shades and the tops of doors, until they are thoroughly cleaned. Damp sponging is best for all hard surfaces.

Eastwickwitch Mon 24-Nov-14 07:48:53

Its the builder's own Makita PJ. It has a big filter bag thing inside with strong suction. The attachment is too big to go inside drawers & cupboards.
Can I risk my own Miele when it's only fine dust?
Didn't think about the top of the doors.

PigletJohn Mon 24-Nov-14 10:01:45

Builders dust is liable to damage domestic vacs. When you do start using it, fit the new white or silver fleecy bags which I believe are better for fine dust.

You can probably pull the attachment off the end of the Makita tube and push the tube into drawers and cupboards.

If the Makita has replaceable paper bags, verify there are no tears or holes in the paper (brick fragments may cause damage). When you lift the motor assembly off the bin to empty it, there might be a white or brown cartridge filter visible, but I have not used a Makita.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now