Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing clothes- Method and brand recommendation please!

(17 Posts)
Earlytorise Fri 21-Nov-14 16:03:17

Can you tell me the best way to dye clothes (by hand or washing machine?) for best hassle free results?

And can you recommend a brand of dye please!

TIA

Don't know if this is the right place so will post in chat also.

wowfudge Fri 21-Nov-14 17:17:53

Easiest way is to use Dylon machine wash dye. You can buy it in Dunelm Mill, John Lewis, various supermarkets. You will also need 500g of salt - just ordinary table salt which is really cheap in Aldi, 29p for a big bottle of it.

You put the dye powder in the bottom section of the drum of the machine - wear rubber gloves and ensure the dye goes through the holes - then put the salt on over the top and brush through with your gloved hands.

Put damp fabric into machine and wash on a cottons wash at 40 degrees. Wash again to remove surplus dye and job done.

All the instructions are in the dye packet. Depending on the dry weight of your fabric, you may need more than one pack of dye. Only 500g of salt though to up to 6 packs of Dylon machine dye.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 21-Nov-14 17:19:30

Seconding washing machine - it's much easier to achieve an even finish in the machine than it is by hand.

Just don't forget to run the machine empty afterwards to remove any remaining traces of dye before you put your other clothes in....

NoelleHawthorne Fri 21-Nov-14 17:20:31

ooh oh dylon black velvet machine
dont over load.
Rinse with bleach afterwards - there are loads of threads on this

NoelleHawthorne Fri 21-Nov-14 17:20:55

the NEW dylon one removes the need for salt. you jsut do two washes
WAY easier

Earlytorise Fri 21-Nov-14 18:36:24

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice, I haven't dyed anything since doing tie-dye as a child many moons ago grin

Noelle do you mean a cycle in the washing machine adding bleach to it? confused

wowfudge Fri 21-Nov-14 20:14:12

I've never used anything other than normal washing powder to clean the machine out afterwards and never had any problems. In fact last time I dyed something a couple of months ago I didn't even bother with a cleaning wash after washing the dyed fabric to remove any excess.

NoelleHawthorne Fri 21-Nov-14 23:41:14

do the two washes as described. But before you use machine again swoosh some bleach through it

ravenAK Fri 21-Nov-14 23:50:25

Absolutely dylon machine dye - it's brilliant, so long as what you're dyeing actually 'takes' dye.

I tried to dye some shocking pink converse purple last year & it simply didn't take - but the black & white, cheap cotton skirt I'd chucked in with them as an afterthought came out the most gorgeous deep purple.

I've never bothered to bleach the machine afterwards - I just ensure next wash is something like tatty, dark coloured towels, t-shirts & socks, rather than the organic unbleached bed linen which I don't actually own.

It's never been a problem!

evertonmint Sat 22-Nov-14 09:44:35

Another fan of Dylon machine stuff. Used it on lots of things. Lovely choice of colours.

One thing is that even if an item is cotton, the stitching might be with nylon thread so that won't dye. Often can look ok with contrast stitching but it is sometimes annoying.

I don't bother pushing the dye and salt into the machine holes and it still works properly.

Have fun!

wowfudge Sat 22-Nov-14 10:21:56

Dylon instructions make no mention of using bleach in your machine afterwards - I think that is unnecessary and overkill.

TooMuchRain Sat 22-Nov-14 10:40:13

Do you think dye would work on chair cushions / seat pads / whatever they are called? Someone just gave me a set but they are a rather impractical colour for us. (Apologies for hijack OP!)

evertonmint Sat 22-Nov-14 10:52:31

If they're cotton, yes it should.

TooMuchRain Mon 24-Nov-14 15:38:53

It worked - thanks evertonmint!

NotCitrus Mon 24-Nov-14 16:12:06

Dylon is great but do weigh your item first as one pack may not be enough.
I just wash some dark old items after following the instructions.

evertonmint Mon 24-Nov-14 18:48:49

Excellent toomuchrain! I'm not very crafty or thrifty but have revitalised towels, muslins, t shirtsa dressing gown and even jeans with Dylon. It's good stuff!

Earlytorise Mon 24-Nov-14 23:59:22

Thanks so much everyone!
Your fountain of experience gave me the confidence to do the washing machine dyeing tonight and I'm mighty pleased with the results! not really sure why I was so nervous and sceptical about it working smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now