Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cordless vacuum

(14 Posts)
Ijustworemytrenchcoat Fri 21-Nov-14 12:45:42

Can I get away with just having something like a Dyson Animal type vacuum or a G Tech Air Ram with a little handheld for skirting boards etc.?

I keep seeing references in reviews to the people just having these to do a quick clean, and they still have a heavy upright to do a 'proper' clean. I would be purchasing this as my main cleaner so need something that can do a decent job.

BeCool Fri 21-Nov-14 15:12:15

I have a small flat with wood floors and get by very happily with just the Dyson Animal.

Though my (cleaning mad) friend is always asking when am I going to get a 'real' vacuum? (Answer - never!)

WiseKneeHair Fri 21-Nov-14 15:14:47

We have a cordless fusion and it's brilliant. The only downside is thT the charge only lasts for about 20-30 minutes. Actually, thT mAy be a plus as obviously it means you can't vacuum for any longer than that! grin

WiseKneeHair Fri 21-Nov-14 15:15:30

Sorry, on phone. YhT should say cordless dyson but autocorrected to fusion.

BeCool Fri 21-Nov-14 15:20:28

also if you get the Dyson Animal you don't need a handheld for skirting boards as well - it does it all.

My main gripe is having to hold trigger with finger when using it (ie no on/off button) though I think that may have been addressed, and the fancy sucker brush thing doesn't cope that well with my hair (which is shoulder length) and I'm always having to de-hair it. (would be the same with bigger Dyson I guess too)

rabbit123 Fri 21-Nov-14 15:33:51

There is no cordless vacuum currently available that generates the same suction or has a brushroll as good as a full sized upright. If you have all bare floors, a handheld should be fine as there's no pile to suck dirt and grit out of. If you've got carpet, you should probably still go around with the big vacuum.

These cordless vacs don't generate much suction and whilst they're great for quick pick ups and surface litter, they don't shift the deep down, embedded grit from the carpet. This is what causes the carpet to discolour and go flat over time.

Floralnomad Fri 21-Nov-14 15:39:48

I have a Dyson animal that is purely for upstairs and it does not cope well with hair , its lovely for a quick daily flick through but for a proper clean I have to take the corded vacuum upstairs .If you have all hard floors it should suffice though.

MoDhachaidh Fri 21-Nov-14 18:47:24

I've had the Bosch Athlet for two days now, wanted it for ages...

It's superb.

bosch

Lives up to the hype.

NK2d7e737aX124833c7de8 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:06:00

G-tech air ram. Totally brilliant - I have never used my upright dyson since I got it in May. Carpets upstairs and hard floors downstairs. Two dogs, three boys, buying both sets of parents one for Christmas. I got an extra battery for £30 when buying from their website. Not sure if that offer is still on. Great for me as big house but not necc for normal size house as has 40 mins of use which is enough for most people. Can't recommend highly enough. I'm getting the multi and car kit which I'm really excited about.

ixos Fri 21-Nov-14 20:12:40

Agree. G-Tech air ram totally rocks. Life changing. No going back to plug-ins.

We've had the Dyson one for a year and our corded vac packed up last Christmas, we haven't replaced it, the Dyson is so light, quick and easy we vacuum far more often now and it does a great job. We're carpet everywhere except bathroom and kitchen, but it's a small house and the carpets are old.

Ijustworemytrenchcoat Fri 21-Nov-14 20:26:46

I'm moving into a house that is all carpeted apart from the kitchen and bathroom sad and to make it worse the carpet in the dining room is cream and I have a messy toddler.

I was really hoping it would have enough power to clean, and not just remove crumbs and so on. I have long hair and it is a bit of a nightmare with the vacuum.

The Bosch one looks interesting, apparently the white one comes with accessories. I so wanted a cordless vacuum or it's such a faff.

MoDhachaidh Fri 21-Nov-14 20:39:47

The bosch athlet roller on the brush comes out, very easily, for cleaning - I have long hair too & this is such a bonus. Pop brush out, cut off my hair (from brush), pop back in. Takes moments.

Also, to quote from Bosch :

Athlet: The Bosch cordless compact vacuum, with the same cleaning performance as a conventional vacuum cleaner*

*Dust pick up in comparison to a 2400W vacuum cleaner from Bosch (BGL32400GB) on carpet and hard floor with crevices. Tested according to EN 60312

I am still marvelling here at just how good it is.

Ijustworemytrenchcoat Sun 23-Nov-14 13:57:54

It sounds like a winner, thank you for mentioning it. I will look at getting the white one with the attachments I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now