Talk

Advanced search

WASHING MACHINE RECOMENDATIONS PLEASE

(8 Posts)
TorrieLou Wed 19-Nov-14 06:21:37

Hi I need to buy a new washing machine. I'd like large capacity (8kg plus), a quick wash which is less than 30 mins and other programmes which don't take hours and hours which seem to be the problem on most of the reviews I've read. Oh and I don't really want to pay more than £300. Please can any of you recommend your machines? Thanks

WhatsItAllAbout123 Wed 19-Nov-14 15:52:05

I've got this Beko

I've had it since February this year, so no idea on longevity, but it is used almost daily.

It has two quick wash functions, one is for 2kgs, washes at 30 degs and has an 800 spin which last 14 mins. The other takes a full 8kg load and you can choose the temperature, so 90 degs (1hr 28 mins), 80 degs, 70 degs, 60 degs (58 mins), 50 degs, 40 degs (38 mins) and it has a 1200 spin as standard. I think you can increase it to a 1400 spin, but you can certainly reduce the spin speed if you want.

It has a load of other programmes, but I only use the 8kg quick wash or the delicate / hand wash setting if I'm washing one of DD's wool blankets or teddies.

rabbit123 Wed 19-Nov-14 18:49:40

Another shout out for Beko. We had one before the Miele that we have now. Even though it was much cheaper, it's been better than the mid-range Hotpoint we had that was more expensive.

The problem with using quick washes is that they're usually only suitable for very small loads and washing full loads on quick wash on most machines will knacker the drum bearing as it's not designed to spin a full load on that cycle. The Beko machines which have the "daily quick" cycle, however, have been designed to wash a full load, with a full spin and 3 deep rinses in 40 minutes. Perfect for day to day clothes.

The Beko ECOWMB81445LW is under £250, has an 8kg wash and the daily quick cycle, which has variable spin and variable temperature, so you can even do 60 and 90 degree quick washes for bedsheets etc.

TorrieLou Wed 19-Nov-14 19:39:12

Hi both thanks for replying. Rabbit that's probably what's killed my machine putting too heavy a load on a quick wash. I didn't know that it does that to the drum but I always feel guilty washing clothes that aren't dirty as such on a cycle that can take well over an hour. I'll take a look at your suggestions thanks.

rabbit123 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:49:15

That's very possible.

Quick washes are only designed to wash small loads because the cycle length does not allow enough time for the motor to rev up to full speed with that amount of weight in the drum. This causes excess strain on the motor and drum bearings.

Incidentally, quick washes actually use more energy that full cycles. Quick washes use deeper water levels to part compensate for the shorter wash, so the machine has more water to heat in less time. The heat element is the most power-guzzling component. The motor its self uses very little electricity.

The standard testing for washing machine energy labels is cottons 60. So whilst it may take longer, it's far less wasteful to use full cycles than quick washes.

NowThenMardyBum Thu 20-Nov-14 14:41:24

I have the same one as WhatsItAllAbout123 - got it after reading good reviews on here when my ancient Hotpoint packed in. Had it since Sept and v pleased with it.

Norfolkandchance1234 Thu 20-Nov-14 15:02:04

I have a Bosch washer / dryer which is still going strong after 7 years. I bought it in the sales so it it's been really cost effective. It has a quick wash at 30 degrees for 15 mins which you can change to 40 degrees for 20 mins. If you have a small load it adjusts the amount of water so is Eco friendly. The dryer is great I stick it on automatic and it works out the length of time required from the moisture and adjusts accordingly.

Norfolkandchance1234 Thu 20-Nov-14 15:02:54

It's a Bosch Exxcel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now