Talk

Advanced search

Do wooden worktops normally look streaky when first oiled?

(5 Posts)
Nononon Tue 18-Nov-14 11:07:46

Just had new kitchen fitted with oak worktop which the fitter has sanded and oiled for us. It looks quite streaky the way he has done it - is that usually the case? I'm not using the kitchen at the moment as there is other stuff happening at the house too so we're not living there. I've only seen it briefly and come away feeling irritated (exhausted, fed up of house not being finished and 38 weeks pregnant!) so im hoping it's just a case of it needing a wipe over and it'll even it out.

Any oak worktop experts out there who can advise? Thanks smile

Nononon Tue 18-Nov-14 12:22:46

Bump

noddyholder Tue 18-Nov-14 12:25:21

I would ask him to look at it. It can look a bit patchy when you first put it on but well rubbed in it should look smooth and seamless ime.

noddyholder Tue 18-Nov-14 12:26:42

You need to do several very light coats with wire wool in between to get the best finish its a slow laborious process but if you cut corners oak really marks and stains quite quickly although the beauty is it can be refinished at any time

calendula Wed 19-Nov-14 09:00:59

When the fitter has finished the worktop should be completly smooth with no streaks at all. How many coats has it had and has it been sanded between coats?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now