Talk

Advanced search

probably the most boring thread in the world but i need help organising my food cupboard.

(7 Posts)
dreamcometrue Sun 16-Nov-14 14:11:36

We have a long thin galley kitchen.
The cupboard that I keep dry food/tins in is driving me mad!
It's such a difficult cupboard to get into because it is opposite the sink so not much room to get to it bit is deep too. It's dark inside and has one big shelf.
Tins fall over, I lose things in it and end up just piling everything at the front.

I can't see in it properly so was thinking on the ceiling of it putting some of those lights that you touch to light.
I have packets, tins, and some cereal tubs (the plastic ones) in there. Any ideas for making it better?
Because I'm really dull/fed up with it I've taken a photo too!

homeaway Sun 16-Nov-14 15:50:30

You need to get yourself over to the Marie Kondo thread smile! Firstly sort out everything that you don't love(use) , bin any out of date food etc so that in the end you are left with what you only really use and want. This makes it easier to find things . I would have food in a high cupboard and put things that I don't use very often in a low cupboard . If you have to keep food in the low cupboard then I would use baskets or containers that you can pull out and see what is in there.

iamthenewgirl Sun 16-Nov-14 17:04:11

Yes, food in high cupboards. Plates, saucepans and all the other stuff in low cupboards.

MelanieCheeks Sun 16-Nov-14 17:09:08

I group similar things. And tins stack well, so tins of soup in columns of 3, ditto baked beans and sweetcorn, bisto granules etc.

How would you feel about making a list of what's in there, sticking it to the inside of the door, and then crossing off anything as it's used?

ishouldcocoa Sun 16-Nov-14 17:14:18

I have one of these which are fab. It would work at any level.

Good Old Lakeland

erin99 Sun 16-Nov-14 23:05:29

I would admit defeat on the back half of the bottom shelf. It's v hard to access. Fill it with non food, infrequently used stuff like sandwich toasters, muffin tins or whatever. These will form a 'back wall' and prevent the food on the bottom slipping back out of reach.

We have one of these on the bottom shelf of ours. We pull it out like a drawer:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251580407302?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Some of those little LED lights would be a great idea. I've seen a multipack in a pound shop so I'd have thought you could get them very cheaply on ebay/amazon. And yes, generally I prefer to keep food up high if that's possible.

dreamcometrue Mon 17-Nov-14 07:52:01

Thanks everyone, no way we can swap food to a top cupboard as the other cupboard is so high I'd be able to get to less stuff.
Going to buy some baskets today and go through the cupboard and be ruthless! Will also look on amazon for lights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now