Talk

Advanced search

Advice please for made to measure curtains & blind

(7 Posts)
Jemster Sun 16-Nov-14 09:52:01

I am finally in a position after living with my cheap as chips living room curtains for 9 years to buy some made to measure ones. I need full length for the patio windows and would like a roman blind for the other window.

I have never bought made to measure curtains and from my bit of research I know it won't be cheap so want to make sure I get it right. What sort of material & lining should I look for?

Our living room has 3 cream walls and 1 green feature wall. What colour material should I go for? I thought it would be nice if I pick out the green but then what if we redecorate in a few years? I can only afford to get the curtains once.

Could anyone recommend where to go to get them made? I did ask in M&S but the lady wasn't very helpful.

AgentProvocateur Sun 16-Nov-14 09:54:30

I got gorgeous ones online from a place called - I think! - blinds4you. They were relatively cheap and are great quality. Arrived within a couple of weeks too.

ArchangelGallic Sun 16-Nov-14 10:01:52

I would suggest you visit local independent shops for advice and quotes.
I got blinds from a local retailer and he fitted them too.
I've had curtains made by Terrys Fabrics before and they've been fine. Helped with measurements, recommended lining, weighted them too so they hung nicely.

IMurderedStampyLongnose Sun 16-Nov-14 10:08:50

Dunelm mill has some beautiful fabrics and a made to measure service.they will be able to advise on the best fabrics and lining.I wouldn't go for white lining in the kitchen because the steam of cooking will eventually turn it yellow.Do you want your blind in thw recess or outside?What kind of heading do you want for your curtains?are they going to be functional or purely decorative?Have you looked on Pinterest for ideas?

ElBandito Sun 16-Nov-14 23:04:17

I used kurtinz.co.uk inspite of the unfortunate web site name spelling the curtains were wonderful and there is a really wide choice of fabrics available. They will send swatches etc.

amy83firsttimer Sun 16-Nov-14 23:11:09

Have a good browse of pinterest or websites of curtain places - there's so many different types of curtain option. Maybe post a picture of the window so we can see. Also think about function, ie, do you get a draft through the patio door, is the ground outside muddy and therefore does a dark colour make sense? Are the curtains machine washable?

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Nov-14 23:23:34

If you have a local fabric/haberdashery shop ask in there. They often have details of local oeoe who are. Got curtains made for both DC's large windows made up this way; bought fabric online with advice from sewing lady. Excellent quality.

I have also had curtains made by Laura Ashley. They were v good too.

With regards colour, maybe something neutral with coloured highlights. We recently got these Laura Ashley Wallace curtains, with the potential to redecorate in mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now