Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which oven? I'm going a bit mad here.

(13 Posts)
Hassled Sat 15-Nov-14 11:12:57

It has to be 90cm, it has to be less than £1K. Currys man was a bit snidey about Belling so I've ruled them out.

Options are John Lewis - looks really nice, JL reliable shop but no idea what their ovens are like, not flush with the floor which may well be cause of me looking for bits of mushroom under the oven all the time. But it's a good looking oven and I'm shallow.

Or Smeg via Currys - same price, same capacity, has handy drawer thing, Smeg good reliable brand, flush with floor but looks really ugly.

What would you pick?

MoreBeta Sat 15-Nov-14 11:15:41

Do you just mean an oven or do you mean hob and oven?

Do you mean free standing or do you mean built in oven?

Hassled Sat 15-Nov-14 11:31:51

Free standing, hob and oven.

MoreBeta Sat 15-Nov-14 12:11:49

Right. Got it.

My view is wait for sales then buy the best you can.

Having bought a double oven and hob type range oven 18 months ago it is very pay for a 'name' and fancy badge and there are very good less well known brands to be had.

John Lewis you wont fail with but then I don't think especially good value either.

Have you thought of getting one built n. I actually chucked a perfectly good built in oven in the house we ought into a skip and I really regret it now. There was nothing wrong with it and virtually brand new. It was a Siemens. Good German make but not anything like as pricey as Miele.

FWIW I bought an AGA double electric hob free standing with an induction top. I like it to cook on but build quality is not as good as I hoped for the price.

Hassled Sat 15-Nov-14 12:58:49

Thanks for your post - built in won't work as all the kitchen units we have are free-standing, and waiting for the sales won't work as current old/crap oven keeps randomly cutting out despite having the circuit board replaced twice, and I can't have that happening as I feed the 5000 over Christmas.

So you reckon don't be too waylaid by big brand names and the John Lewis one is probably fine?

MoreBeta Sat 15-Nov-14 16:54:04

If you are buying under pressure at short notice definitely go with JL.

PigletJohn Sat 15-Nov-14 17:27:24

do you mean the cooker has to be 900mm wide, and free-standing, so you are looking for a small range? Not many around in that size.

I see you are looking at dual-fuel, gas hob/electric oven, which I have been very pleased with.

Hassled Sat 15-Nov-14 19:09:50

Thanks both - yes, 900mm, free standing and you're right that there isn't a whole heap of choice if you're looking below £1K.

I think the ugly stainless steel Smeg via Currys is probably the sensible choice. It's just so industrial looking - like I should be cooking school dinners on it.

PigletJohn Sat 15-Nov-14 19:21:04

there are nine Which Best Buy 900mm, dual fuel ranges. You can read them free at your local library.

Below £1k there are four best buys (best first)

Indesit KP9F11S(XG and similar others) Contains video£600 is to £659 (single big oven)

Hotpoint Ultima EG902GX Contains video £921

Stoves Sterling 900DFT £1010

Electrolux EKM90460X £971

this was a more expensive best buy
Smeg TR93BL £1700

This was not a Best Buy
John Lewis JLRC906 £900

wonkylegs Sat 15-Nov-14 19:25:09

We had a Belling and the build quality was crap, the oven was also terrible, never the right temperature and the door had to be replaced twice as it kept coming loose. I'd never buy one again.
I've had as Smeg built in oven & dishwasher over the years (came with house) both had serious problems (dishwasher caught on fire ) and Smeg customer services were truly shite. So I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole.

Hassled Sat 15-Nov-14 19:27:04

PigletJohn - if you were here I'd hug you smile.

Hassled Sat 15-Nov-14 19:28:49

That really helps my case, wonkylegs, so thank you. I need justification for why I should pick pretty over good brand name.

Missingsleepandthecat Sun 16-Nov-14 16:24:49

That JL oven is a Smeg rebadge

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now