Talk

Advanced search

Oven cleaning

(16 Posts)
SmileAndNod Wed 12-Nov-14 16:32:34

I need to clean our oven. I was hoping to get ovenu to do it, but it's £79 for a basic cleansad. The oven is only a year old, and already the ceramic hob is scratched by dh and the glass looks revolting. The oven itself is supposed to be self cleaning so I'm not sure what if anything can be used in on this.

So what do I need to restore it to something looking half decent? It's a standard size oven, and the shelves and grill pan need doing too. Previously I've soaked shelves in the bath with bio washing powder and then scrubbed but it takes hours and I just don't have the time.

Any miracle products that will do the job?

sleepyhead Wed 12-Nov-14 16:40:35

Ovenpride is vg on racks etc. You just bung them in the provided bag with the liquid and leave for ages. When they come out they don't need much scrubbing if any.

It'll also sort out the bottom of your self-cleaning oven (it's the sides that are sc).

You're not meant to use it on the glass as it can crack apparently. I have to say that I have used on the glass and it was great, but I may well have been lucky. Brillo pad on the glass would work though.

sleepyhead Wed 12-Nov-14 16:41:08

Cif cream for hob btw.

wowfudge Wed 12-Nov-14 17:02:59

Stick the grill pan and rack in the bag with the shelves and the Oven Pride too. I cleaned a really manky one with it the other day - approx 20 hours in the bag and it came out like new.

wowfudge Wed 12-Nov-14 17:04:47

Don't use a brillo pad on the ceramic hob!

SmileAndNod Wed 12-Nov-14 17:16:19

20 hours shock. Daft question but is the bag in the oven pride big enough for the shelves, or will I need two packs? Have three shelves and one grill pan to do, if I don't do the glass.

What's the best thing for glass? Fairy liquid and brillo pad? Glass cleaner? Ceramic hob is beyond hope though isn't it?

I really should have kept on top of the oven when it was newsad

FriedSprout Wed 12-Nov-14 17:22:26

This works and is a mumsnet discovered tip. Dampen dishwasher tablet and rub hard on the glass.

southeastastra Wed 12-Nov-14 17:22:32

astonish oven cleaner is fab and about a pound

Varya Wed 12-Nov-14 17:24:40

Some good ideas here!

wowfudge Wed 12-Nov-14 18:35:52

The bag is big enough for everything at once. With stay clean linings in your oven I would put 2/3 bottle of OP in the bag with your shelves and grill pan and use the remaining third on the oven bottom and door. Just put the shelves, etc in the bag one evening and rinse them the next before you cook dinner.

The longer you leave them the better the results with no scrubbing from you. Turn the bag over periodically if you've got a grill pan in it so the solution gets to everything.

You don't have to do the shelves and the oven at the same time btw.

mouselittle Wed 12-Nov-14 19:01:07

Those magic erasers are great for ceramic hobs and the glass inside the oven door.
Mr muscle oven cleaner is good for inside the oven but the fumes are awful. i only use it when absolutely necessary

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 12-Nov-14 19:07:37

Are there no local cleaning firms that ate not oven u? oven u is so expensive but various local firms here do it for £20-30.

failing that oven pride or put vinegar and water in a Pyrex dish and in the oven on hot so it boils and streams the oven, it will get stuff looser so you can wipe it off when it is cool enough to touch.

SmileAndNod Wed 12-Nov-14 21:08:27

I will have a look, I have emailed oven clean for a quote but I guess they will be similar in price.
Will try the diy approach. Have oven pride, magic eraser and rubber gloves on my shopping list for tomorrow!

EarSlaps Wed 12-Nov-14 21:28:14

I've seen lots of articles online about cleaning the oven with ammonia. I'd guess that's the main ingredient in oven pride too but neat ammonia is way cheaper. I think it would be the ammonia in dishwasher tabs that would do the trick there too.

Just make sure you ventilate really well whichever method you use and wear gloves.

JimmyCorkhill Wed 12-Nov-14 21:37:31

How do you clean the grill bit? I can do all the rest reluctantly but it's hard to reach/see the grill elements and on the oven cleaning spray it says not to spray there?

EarSlaps Wed 12-Nov-14 21:42:44

I think you can take most grill bits out maybe?

I tend to assume that most stuff just burns off that so a quick wipe is ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now